Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I'm new.

Hello. My name is Matthew Buick, Pentax Convert isn't my real name, though I sure wish it was! I'm 18 years old, and have had a passion for photography for a little over a year now. For most of that period I've owned a Sony DSLR of some sort (A200 and A700) and have been mostly very happy with them, but a recent crop of lacklustre, possibly even tacky DSLRs, an increasinly competitive turf war with Canon and Nikon, no capable replacement for the A700 on the horizon, and a poor customer service have lad me to feel disillusioned with Sony. I'm ashamed to say I'd always thought Pentax were a bit of a two-bit camera manufacturer, with not a lot to offer anybody, and not one decent camera or lens to it's name.

How wrong I was!!

I enrolled on a Saturday photography course this September to further my skills, and gain a photographic qualification, and as the start of the course we were tasked with taking an SLR loaded with Ilford film out into the town and filling it. My heart fell when the woman at the desk handed me a Pentax K1000 and f2 50mm lens, I thought it would be rubbish, however as soon as I loaded the camera, raced outside, lined up the first shot and pulled the trigger I realised all of my previous opinions on Pentax were wrong. I had a fabulous time using the camera, and loved the swinging needle meter, so much so, that two days later I bought an identical K1000 myself. I truly don't regret it! Reading up on modern-day Pentax cameras it seems they are a company completely dedicated to photographers, if they weren't they'd be doomed. If after today Sony never sold another DSLR it'd be a big blow, but they'd survive. Pentax would crumple.

I'm now planning to sell all of my Sony gear, and fully emigrate over to Pentax. Probably buying a KX, I hear they're rather good.

Anyway, sorry to have rambled on, best regards, and happy shooting!

11-28-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
Inactive Account

A BIG welcome. Pentax DSLRs are indeed fine crafted piece of cameras w/c can only be rivaled by the more expensive offering from the big 2. With impeccable IQ, SR and backward compatibility, I am sure you will love Pentax. Pentax users don't necessarily follow the crowd. Enjoy.
11-28-2009, 10:46 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Matthew.
The K-x is an impressive little camera - it's the envy of many.
Where Pentax may lack in one area, certainly makes up for it in others.
Glad to have you on board and hope you enjoy your time on the forum.
11-29-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks everybody!

The quality, attenrion to detail, and individuality of Pentax is what has attracted me to them. I'm glad the KX is a good camera, I'd love a white one!

Best!

11-30-2009, 08:23 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had the same sort of feeling in not joining the Canikon crowd. I bought a K10D and never looked back. Great camera.