Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2009, 01:04 AM   #1

One more for White K-x

Hi guys, it was love at first sight, I am so glad the reviews matched its beauty. I just recently purchased the K-x through Amazon from Cameta Cameras. It included

Pentax K-x Digital SLR Camera (White) with 18-55mm Zoom Lens + 16GB SDHC Card + x8 AA Batteries & Charger + UV Filter + Accessory Kit for 669+16.95 tax

This is my first DSLR and I am a newcomer to Photography. I do have some questions.

1) I understand that UV filters do help with photo quality and protection but as far as the change in quality goes, would someone be able to explain this for me?

2) What or where are some great DSLR introduction informations, online or books. As I have no clue to what F/3.5, ISO, Shutter speed etc and all those technical terms mean.

Thank you so much and I look forward to a new future of Digital Photography in my life.

12-04-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.
The K-x is one fine little camera. The envy of many...
UV filters have been the centre of a lot of discussion regarding how it affects picture quality. Basically, they all do, the more expensive ones less so (like Hoya Super HMC or even the plain HMCs) and offer some protection against dust, debris and moisture hitting the front element. Otherwise, they're not all that useful.

Being new to photography, I strongly suggest you learn all about the exposure triad (aperture, shutter speed and sensitivity) whether online or in a book like "Understanding Exposure" by Brian Peterson. Here are some articles on this forum about the essentials of exposure:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photography-articles/23232-learning-basic...echniques.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photography-articles/62522-exposure-shutt...rture-iso.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photography-articles/39743-understanding-...-kit-lens.html