Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2009, 01:37 AM   #1

Hello from Chicago

Hello everyone -- long-time troller and first-time poster. I'm an amateur who just likes to take photos for personal/family use. Some years ago back in college my parents bought me a cheap, plastic, all-manual SLR with a zoom lens. I really enjoyed using it and was surprised to see how much better even a cheap 35mm was compared to all the crappy point and shoots my family used. I took out a book on photography from the library to learn some basics, and decided to buy a 50mm lens. I went to the camera store and the guy there had never heard of my type of camera, but the instruction booklet said it took "K-mount" lenses. What the hell does that mean? The guy said that it means that the camera takes Pentax lenses......and that's how I got started using Pentax.
Although I haven't been around for too long, I remember a time when good, quality camera stores were all around the neighborhood. Its sad to see almost all of them gone today, and the remaining ones only a shell of their former selves. Here in Chicago, I had a very difficult time finding anyone who carries anything Pentax-related. I could only find one store that had the K-7 in stock -- and there they only had one with no charged battery, so I couldn't even test it out. The salesperson blamed it on poor demand due to the lack of advertising, which is something I had seen discussed here in the forums. So nowadays, even if you can find a store that carries at least some used Pentax stuff, most salespeople are completely unfamiliar with Pentax's current lineup of products.
For this reason, I have relied heavily on the reviews and advice from this forum. Its great to read commentary and opinions from a dedicated group of Pentax users who know their stuff, and it has helped me a lot in deciding what to buy and how to make better use of the features Pentax SLRs have to offer. The content here is very much appreciated, even from those who aren't posting.
Although I tried to fight it, I finally succumbed and bought a K7 along with a couple of lenses. I'm excited about its claim to function when its 14 degrees -- now if only I can function when its that cold!! I have some old stuff which I'll put up on the marketplace to see if anyone is interested, and I will post some reviews of my new stuff once I get to use it a bit. So for now, thanks again and keep up the good work. Take care.

12-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome finally to the forum.
Quite a story there.
I'm sure your K-7 will be up to the task for you.
Enjoy it and your time here.
08-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Hello, I can attest to what you mean by when you mention that most electronic stores have never heard of, or even have somewhat of a clue, of what pentax is. I went to a best buy just to see their line-up, and what greeted by a sales rep asking me if i have any questions or comments about their current DSLRs lineup. I mention how come they dont carry pentax lenses, cameras, or gears at least. She said whoever has the most money to blow on ads and commercials, gets the whole electronic floor. Nowhere in our conversation did I sense she even knew what the Pentax brand really is, kinda like a deer in headlights look on her, poor thing lol. Not to my suprise, I see the usual, canons, nikons, fujifilm, etc. I mean, when was the last time you actually saw a pentax commercial on TV? lol. Pentax deserved to be known more, a quiet revolution has to take place, I imagine. One of their best lens ( the 77mm limited) is about to be yours pending payment, I hope it lives up to your expectations and make a killer addition to your K7 camera
08-08-2010, 12:43 AM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, for much of the year here, we would all welcome 14 degrees.