Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2009, 12:33 PM   #1

Hello From CT

Hello everyone my name is Bill Miliski and I am from Connecticut. You guys have a great forum here and I am learning a lot. MY favorite subject to photograph is lightning here are a few examples of my shots .

Lightning!! - a set on Flickr

All were photographed with a Pentax ME. I am looking to go into the digital world and I have decided to stay with Pentax. I Just bought a Pentax 100d for my storm photography and am now looking for a DSLR for everything else my budget is $1000. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

12-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day Bill.
Welcome to the forum.
You have a lot of patience shooting the elusive lightning bolt - keep at it! A highly rewarding subject to shoot.
Your K100D should suffice both for capturing storms as well as everything else. It has surprisingly good high ISO performance and excellent rendition for an early model camera. If you want a different camera, then I could suggest a K-x, which may not have a top LCD, but is rating amongst the best entry-level cameras available with advanced features only the pro cameras can boast of.

My first suggestion would be however to invest in a couple of good lenses. Depending on what else you like to photograph, faster and better quality lenses of f/2.8 maximum aperture or so may give you a lot more flexibility in what you photograph. Be weary, though, that the K100D does not support SDM/HSM lenses (silent AF lens technology).

Once you know what focal lengths you are after, it will make the decision much more easy to make.
12-12-2009, 04:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bill-M Quote
Hello everyone my name is Bill Miliski and I am from Connecticut. You guys have a great forum here and I am learning a lot. MY favorite subject to photograph is lightning here are a few examples of my shots .

Lightning!! - a set on Flickr

All were photographed with a Pentax ME. I am looking to go into the digital world and I have decided to stay with Pentax. I Just bought a Pentax 100d for my storm photography and am now looking for a DSLR for everything else my budget is $1000. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bill
Hi Bill, according to your profile you have a K10D rather than a K100D. And you already have a fair selection of good lenses. Whichever camera you have, I guess, if I were you I'd take my time acquiring more glass until you can afford some really good auto focus lenses. Check out this forum to learn how to use your digital Pentax with your earlier Pentax lenses. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/59272-shooting-...x-dslrs-f.html . I think you will enjoy using your new digital camera, but don't give up your film camera. I and quite a number of other Pentax Digital users are starting to review their film cameras and renew their old acquaintances in the film world.

Nice to have you on board, enjoy!
12-12-2009, 07:10 PM   #4

Original Poster
Wow that is wierd because my post isnt linking to my profile..I am not from California..lol

12-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Bill,

Welcome to this forum! Love your lightning pictures. Like Ash said you must have a lot of patience doing this.