Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
Banned

Hello all

My name is Joey. I've owned a Pentax SLR before, and I use Canon equipment for work (not by choice, it's what they bought), but I've decided to go back to Pentax. The best photo's I've ever taken have come from my K100D, so I decided to give Pentax another shot. I'm going to buy the camera this week, but I need some catching up on Pentax's offerings. I've been out of the Pentax world since the 10D gen. Whats a decent body I can get for under 800 dollars?

Here's some of my sample photo's from way back in my Pentax days:

And finally a self-portait with an ex-girlfriend.

12-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Joey, and welcome.
You basically have two choices, perhaps 3:

1. K-x: small, very capable and stylish. Best high-ISO performance in its class. Good frames per second rating and fast AF. Advanced features despite being an entry-level model. Takes AAs.

2. K20D: larger, heavier, more 'professional' and slightly higher Mp rating. Less speedy fps and AF but not frustratingly slow (unless shooting high-speed action). Even better when coupled with dedicated grip. Takes dedicated Li-ion batteries - long lasting!

3. K-m (if you can find one): similar to the K-x (it's predecessor) - only 10Mp (probably more than you need )
12-15-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Joey,

Welcome to this forum. Hope you will enjoy it.
Ash gave a nice summary! I can add to that that the K20d is weather resistant (so you can use it in the rain), but the K-x and the K-m are not! For me this was the reason why I didn't wanted a K-x.