Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2009, 06:09 AM   #1

Pro from So Cal

Hey all, my name is Chris Miller and I'm a professional photographer from the Palm Springs, CA area. While I shoot most of my professional stuff with Canon gear, I have a pretty good Pentax bug as well. Unfortunately for much of my work, the Pentax AF system hasn't been able to keep up. But for things like backpacking/travel/landscape, I prefer Pentax feature set and feel.

I haven't had a Pentax camera in a while, but my new K-7 and a couple lenses arrive today and I'm so excited. Real estate and architecture is a fairly good chunk of my day-to-day work, and the K-7's in-camera HDR, as well as its image levelling function and in-camera distortion correction features make it very compelling for this type of work. Time will tell though, but that time is now: The camera and 12-24 arrive this morning and I have a $4 million dollar resort home to photograph this afternoon! So the system will get thrown right into the fire today...

I have always enjoyed internet forums as a place to share, learn, and argue And I'm looking forward to getting to know you all now that I'm back in the club. Peace,

Chris Miller
Imagine Imagery, Photography by Chris Miller

12-16-2009, 06:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum. Please let us know how the K-7 works for you.
12-16-2009, 09:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi welcome here!
Hope you will enjoy the forum and share your thoughts with us.
12-16-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I checked out your web site and there are some great shots. Welcome to the club.

12-16-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chrisdm Quote
Hey all, my name is Chris Miller and I'm a professional photographer from the Palm Springs, CA area. While I shoot most of my professional stuff with Canon gear, I have a pretty good Pentax bug as well. Unfortunately for much of my work, the Pentax AF system hasn't been able to keep up. But for things like backpacking/travel/landscape, I prefer Pentax feature set and feel.

I haven't had a Pentax camera in a while, but my new K-7 and a couple lenses arrive today and I'm so excited. Real estate and architecture is a fairly good chunk of my day-to-day work, and the K-7's in-camera HDR, as well as its image levelling function and in-camera distortion correction features make it very compelling for this type of work. Time will tell though, but that time is now: The camera and 12-24 arrive this morning and I have a $4 million dollar resort home to photograph this afternoon! So the system will get thrown right into the fire today...

I have always enjoyed internet forums as a place to share, learn, and argue And I'm looking forward to getting to know you all now that I'm back in the club. Peace,

Chris Miller
Hi Chris,
Good having you back, I remember you from the days of DPr.
The new 14 mm limited is a gem as well, hardly any distortion at all.
Looking forward to more backpacking trip photos
12-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Chris.
Glad to have you on board.
You'll find the 12-24 fitting the bill quite well in your work.
Hope to see more of your contributions here in the future.
12-18-2009, 05:22 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the kind replies everyone, it is nice to be back!

Chris Miller
12-19-2009, 06:25 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I've had my K-7 about three months now, Chris, and I love it. In-camera HDR, leveling, distortion are all very cool features, and many of the edit filters can produce some startling results.

I have found that the ONLY way I can shoot HDR is tripod, using a remote shutter release. Even slightest movement, manually releasing the shutter with a tripod, moves enough to distort one of the three images, relative to the other two you take with a single shutter activation. Even light wind will also affect my inexpensive tripod... but when I get it right, I love the HDR results -- and in the photo classes I'm taking with nothing but Canon and Nikon users except for this lonely Pentaxian, I have managed to impress them a little, and that includes my pro instructors.

Good luck with the K-7. Show us what an expert can do with this terrific instrument.

12-20-2009, 06:15 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Shooter72 Quote
I've had my K-7 about three months now, Chris, and I love it. In-camera HDR, leveling, distortion are all very cool features, and many of the edit filters can produce some startling results.

I have found that the ONLY way I can shoot HDR is tripod, using a remote shutter release. Even slightest movement, manually releasing the shutter with a tripod, moves enough to distort one of the three images, relative to the other two you take with a single shutter activation. Even light wind will also affect my inexpensive tripod... but when I get it right, I love the HDR results -- and in the photo classes I'm taking with nothing but Canon and Nikon users except for this lonely Pentaxian, I have managed to impress them a little, and that includes my pro instructors.

Good luck with the K-7. Show us what an expert can do with this terrific instrument.
Thanks shooter, and yes you're correct about that. The K-7 doesn't do any auto-alignment of the bracket so care must be taken. But as a professional landscape photographer and one with software-based HDR and manual exposure masking experience, I am already comfortable with using proper shooting technique anyways.

Here's a K-7 HDR I took yesterday, this is very interesting as you may not know that it was actually dark outside except that the city lights below give it away! I was blown away at how the K-7 HDR properly exposed everything from dawn sky to dark foreground:

Chris Miller
12-22-2009, 07:57 PM   #10

Chris-
Your shots are extraordinary. I love the action at the golf courses. Makes me want to pick up a set of clubs. Can't wait for spring.
12-23-2009, 06:11 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StRobinson Quote
Chris-
Your shots are extraordinary. I love the action at the golf courses. Makes me want to pick up a set of clubs. Can't wait for spring.
Thank you! Just come visit us in So Cal, our prime golf season just begun last month!

Chris Miller