Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Hello from Texas & Yucatan

Hello all,

Well, what to say? I enthusiastically began photography in high school days with a Praktica L (all manual everything, no meter) and a few odds and ends of Pentax M42 mount lenses that I could dig up from my remote location (western Kansas town of a few hundred people).

After school, I had a hectic schedule of sporting and other events in the (then) many small cities around the area, where I'd shoot a few shots, rush home to develop them, then stop by the weekly newspaper offices in those small towns the next day. In those days, being paid 50 cents to a dollar a published photo kept me in gas money. And cold handmade Cokes at the drugstore soda fountain.

The newspapers had no source of photos on their own, so I became it. With my own primitive (bathroom-converted on each occasion) darkroom, I could make high-contrast images they needed for printing. Here, we'd say the photo's were 'blown out', but nice gray tones didn't work with the ancient presses.

Years went by, things happened. A cousin borrowed the darkroom set-up, life became busy. I ended up in various locations and photography dropped away. Those memories are distant now.

Recently, maybe a year or more back, I saw a Pentax K100D on Woot for $269 (refurbished). I didn't know a thing about it, but wanted something better than the little compact cameras I'd been using for snapshots on trips.

Google revealed to me that this digital SLR could take M42 lens and I snapped it up. Out in the garage, in the old camera bag that literally had not been opened in over 20 years and 3 addresses, everything was just as I left it. Snappy apertures, dust-free lenses. A handful of filters.

So, I've been playing around with this combination of modern electronics and ancient, obscure lenses (Prinz Rexatar ?).

I've recently graduated to a refurbished K200D and am excited about exploring my newest camera with these oldest lenses (and a couple fully modern ones). Maybe I'll get my 'eye' back and begin to shoot something in a worthwhile way now and then.

A good number of posts on this forum have been very helpful. A huge Thanks! to everyone who shares their knowledge here. Take it easy on this old-timer.

12-21-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum. One never loses the 'eye', just keep shooting!
12-21-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome here - I'm sure you'll enjoy shooting with the K200D - a good upgrade from the K100D.
Hope you find the forum useful.
12-21-2009, 05:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome! And I hope you'll enjoy the 50/1.7 you should be receiving soon. Why/where in Yucatan? I work in Belize so I know the peninsula :-)

12-21-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
Welcome! And I hope you'll enjoy the 50/1.7 you should be receiving soon. Why/where in Yucatan? I work in Belize so I know the peninsula :-)
I've been visiting friends and vacationing in Merida Yucatan for about 15-16 years now. Bought a small home there and hope to retire full time. I love the people, the history, just everything. And lack of snow doesn't hurt either.

I used to wonder why the old people all moved to the beach. Now, I hate to admit, I'm starting to realize why. Too many aches in the cold.

Thanks for the lens deal. Looking forward to using it!
12-21-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
BTW, I was thinking your location was in the NE US. What brings you to Belize? I've been down to Xcalak a few times and want to visit Balacar and Chetumal. Don't know much about the Belize side.
12-21-2009, 06:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
BTW, I was thinking your location was in the NE US. What brings you to Belize? I've been down to Xcalak a few times and want to visit Balacar and Chetumal. Don't know much about the Belize side.

I'm a Maya archaeologist and Belize is where my site's at :-)

Merida! One of my favorite cities in the area. Good food, good people, wondfully historic. Plus La Playa ain't too far away :-))) I try to swing by there whenever I'm in the region, so maybe I'll come visit one of these day!
12-21-2009, 11:25 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Wow, imagine that. I'd love to see a real site one day. A few years ago, we drove to a little ruin on the north shore of Yucatan called Xtambo (variously, Xtampo). It is thought to have been a salt and fishing outpost for one of the more inland centers of power.

Some Mexican archeologists were working behind one of the smaller ruins and unearthed what looked to be an entire family. Male, female and a child or two, they weren't sure without more work. They invited us over to the pit to see. Just our group of four, the archeologists, the wind and the sun. Fascinating.

We had just gone by there since it was nearby and usually not full of tourists. And there's a church ruin on top of one of the pyramids that's sorta interesting. Ended up having quite an experience.

Amazing how people come together over the internet. Never ceases to amaze me.

12-22-2009, 02:11 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome here!
I enjoyed your story very much, hope to see your pictures soon.

By the way I visited Yucatan, Guatemala and Belize two years ago to see, of course, the Maya stuff! I enjoyed it very much!

Last edited by Iris; 12-23-2009 at 09:07 AM.
12-22-2009, 12:29 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hello all who have visited my little tale and left good wishes:

Thank you so much for the welcome!
I'm still exploring and poking around the site when I can.
I am very grateful for all the knowledge - and especially the beautiful photography - being shared here.

Chris
12-24-2009, 10:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Yup, that area is very well known for salt production/collection, as there's a naturally occurring salt deposits. And wouldn't you know it, my dissertation is on Maya salt production down in Belize :-)

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Wow, imagine that. I'd love to see a real site one day. A few years ago, we drove to a little ruin on the north shore of Yucatan called Xtambo (variously, Xtampo). It is thought to have been a salt and fishing outpost for one of the more inland centers of power.

Some Mexican archeologists were working behind one of the smaller ruins and unearthed what looked to be an entire family. Male, female and a child or two, they weren't sure without more work. They invited us over to the pit to see. Just our group of four, the archeologists, the wind and the sun. Fascinating.

We had just gone by there since it was nearby and usually not full of tourists. And there's a church ruin on top of one of the pyramids that's sorta interesting. Ended up having quite an experience.

Amazing how people come together over the internet. Never ceases to amaze me.