Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2009, 08:31 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Proud owner of a brand spanking old K10D

The first shots! The best of my walk home from the store are up on my mobileMe: MobileMe Gallery

EDIT (2009/12/27) Some new galleries:
Christmas Eve
Christmas Day
Boxing Day

After much hemming and hawing after seeing the K-x in a store one day, I got hooked on the idea of a pentax to free me from camera-phone and Super-Zoom hell. I thought with the amount of good pentax glass floating around this would eventually be the best (cheapest) way to get into it, especially as I am really just learning.

So my wallet forced me away from the K-x, but I did find a k-m kit with an extra tamron superzoom, and I was about to pull the trigger and deal with the extra cost of macro gear later. Suddenly the kind old Japanese guy dug into the back of the store and came up with a slightly battered K10d, an amazing 100mm macro which could double as a bluntforce weapon, and I managed to cajole him into throwing in the walking-around 28-80 cheapo lens as well. I love macro so this was a good deal for me.... I think. The two lenses and body cost me 36,000 yen ... 392 USD (Holy moley the US dollar is low!), whereas the k-m kit (both good lenses) would have been ten bucks cheaper.

Was this a good deal? The heavy-duty body was a big plus for me because I am careless with my toys, and it spec'd so similar to the k-m. I'm looking forward to anybody's advice on settings, lenses, and sharing photos.

At the moment I'm wondering how much I'll need to spend on a flash system to get some good macros down to small apertures with my big lens up close. Let me know!

Last edited by JesseDavis; 12-26-2009 at 11:56 PM. Reason: updated with new galleries
12-24-2009, 12:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not sure about your deal, but welcome to to forum anyway Jesse. With the flash situation, don't forget you can use external light sources.

You have some good close up/macro shots. Keep up the good work.
12-24-2009, 02:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JesseDavis Quote
Suddenly the kind old Japanese guy dug into the back of the store and came up with a slightly battered K10d, an amazing 100mm macro which could double as a bluntforce weapon, and I managed to cajole him into throwing in the walking-around 28-80 cheapo lens as well.
What are the lenses that you got, Jesse? If the 100mm lens is a good one, in good condition, you probably got a good deal. Nice to know that there's some worthwhile 2nd hand gear around - did you buy the camera in Yokohama or Tokyo? Mind if I ask what the store was? I'm flying to Tokyo on Sunday, you see.

Rob
12-24-2009, 03:29 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Welcome to this forum!

As long as you are happy with it it is always a good deal
I can't help you with your questions (don't have a macro lens yet), but sure somebody here can help you!
Enjoy your K10d!

12-26-2009, 11:10 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
2nd hand stuff

NEW PICS: http://gallery.me.com/davisjess#100207 http://gallery.me.com/davisjess#100227
-------------------------
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
What are the lenses that you got, Jesse? If the 100mm lens is a good one, in good condition, you probably got a good deal. Nice to know that there's some worthwhile 2nd hand gear around - did you buy the camera in Yokohama or Tokyo? Mind if I ask what the store was? I'm flying to Tokyo on Sunday, you see.

Rob
Hm, I thought that I had put the lens in my sig. It is this one (FA 100/2.8 Macro), and it's making my brother and his Nikon jealous The other FA J is pretty crappy, really blurry even at F/5.6, which is it's max.

It was in Yokohama that I got the camera at a chain store called Champ Camera. I actually went to the same store at a different location at first and they told me that only one of their stores in my area sells used gear. Luckily it wasn't far so I zipped over (Tama-plaza) and there was an okay selection, and unlike new gear used prices have some haggling room. If you are right in the middle of Tokyo there are probably way more options, although I don't know where the 'camera district' is. Ask around while you are here and of course try the back streets of Akihabara. Try walking up to anyone (especially a police officer should work) and saying 'chu-ko caw-meh-ra?'

BTW you are coming at the beginning of the New Year's holiday, so expect the smaller shops to be closed.

[copied to your 'going to japan' thread]

Last edited by JesseDavis; 12-26-2009 at 11:25 PM.
12-26-2009, 11:57 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

You chose well with the K10D Jesse.
Plus the FA 100/2.8 macro is a stellar lens.
Welcome and enjoy your time here with us, and keep shooting - you're off to a great start.