Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2009, 11:25 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Newbie from tokyo

Hello everyone! I'm a newbie residing currently in tokyo. I bought my K-m 5 months ago and i'm getting used to it. Two months ago i bought a tamron 28-75 that is now my main walk around lens.

I've been amazed by the difference of my camera, but found out that the auto-focus is rather diffucult with this specific camera.

Looking to know this great community!

12-26-2009, 11:41 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum.
The K-m is a great little camera.
What sort of conditions have you found AF function difficult?
Hope you enjoy your time here.
12-26-2009, 11:50 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
G'day from Australia. I would love to see some shots from Tokyo. I have been to Osaka but unfortunately never made it to the big smoke.

Hope you enjoy your stay here and welcome.
12-27-2009, 12:00 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Welcome! I'm a newbie too, living at Azamino Station in Aoba-ku, Yokohama. I just bought a used K10, which is pretty much the same specs as K-m (ISO is not as good though) but I very nearly got the K-m instead.

We should go photo-hunting together one day!

12-27-2009, 12:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by summonbaka Quote
Hello everyone! I'm a newbie residing currently in tokyo. I bought my K-m 5 months ago and i'm getting used to it. Two months ago i bought a tamron 28-75 that is now my main walk around lens.

I've been amazed by the difference of my camera, but found out that the auto-focus is rather diffucult with this specific camera.

Looking to know this great community!
Welcome to the forum.
Maybe a fast prime like the DA 40 limited, could help you in more low light situation. Looking forward to your pictures
12-27-2009, 01:48 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks everyone.

@Ash @Jonson_PL: I've found the autofocus rather slow and clumsy. Maybe that's because of the kit lens and the tamron (the tamron is f/2.8) -I do tried a 55 f/1.4 and a 200 f/2.8 DA star and both were fast, silent and focused right with ease. And they also have quick-shift something that both the DA-L kit and the tamron lack-. i found the autofocus a little too close to magic since it focuses on the point it likes the most not necessarily the one you want and there's no preview.

@fractal: Hello there! I was in Osaka this summer, along some parts of Kansai, mostly tourism. Having stayed on both, I prefer Osaka from Tokyo by a lot. For starters, you can look some of my photos (Sorry, It's a dump right now) in my page:

Welcome to Nando's Gallery
or my flickr account
Flickr: Summon Baka's Photostream

@JesseDavis: I would be happy to! I live near tama and tobitakyuu stations in Fuchu, Tokyo. I think i have free the days between the 3rd and the 6th of january. So pm me if you want to go anywhere.
12-27-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Welcome! Since you are in Tokyo, you should find yourself some vintage Pentax glass to try.
12-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #8

Original Poster
Hi Blue, I would really like to know where I can get me some vintage glass to try out. I don't really know Tokyo that well to know a place to find them.

12-28-2009, 08:47 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by summonbaka Quote
Hi Blue, I would really like to know where I can get me some vintage glass to try out. I don't really know Tokyo that well to know a place to find them.
Mike Cash or Figmental1978 (on this site) may be able to tell you where some of the shops with used gear are located.

Here is the Takumar Club thread. Mike Cash has posted a lot of images from Japan using Taks. There are some in this thread by Figmental as well. Mike has labeled his by lens. The tread is long and on going but worth it.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31601-takumar-club.html

There are similar clubs for other glass such as A and M as well.
12-28-2009, 09:45 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Mike Cash or Figmental1978 (on this site) may be able to tell you where some of the shops with used gear are located.

Here is the Takumar Club thread. Mike Cash has posted a lot of images from Japan using Taks. There are some in this thread by Figmental as well. Mike has labeled his by lens. The tread is long and on going but worth it.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31601-takumar-club.html

There are similar clubs for other glass such as A and M as well.
Blue, thanks.
Just WOW. I took a look at the thread, excellent pictures. Now I'm regretting i didn't join before... Will only have some more time in tokyo and then move somewhere else.

I feel shy to ask, being a newbie and all, but I'm going to ask when i gather some courage. I'll just look around for a while more before doing so.