Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello from Up North

Hi All,

It's about time I introduced myself. I'm a writer/illustrator/photographer with a weekly column for a canoeing/kayaking website, and also write/shoot most of the copy/pix for my website, which is devoted to active outdoor pursuits (bicycling, hiking, snowshoeing, paddling, photography). In a former life I was a field geologist, and throughout my working life photography has been an important adjunct. For pleasure I shoot pictures of wild animals, birds, landscapes, clouds, and anything else in the natural world which catches my eye. Moreover, I can't pass abandonments and other old buildings without itching to photograph them. As an avid cyclist, I also enjoy shooting pictures of bikes and cycling, and to top it all off, it's also great fun to photograph food and food prep. (Did I leave anything out?)

I became a Pentax owner for the second time (first-time DSLR owner) late last year with the purchase of the K200D -- I love it! My first Pentax was a K1000 SLR, though I've also owned a Minolta, a Nikon FM, and an Olympus OM-1n, and a variety of lenses.

I've just joined this forum earlier this month, having found my way here when researching ways to make my K200D work with rechargeable batteries. I found the answer (Sanyo Eneloops, in case anyone wonders) in one of the threads, then moseyed around and found that this is a wonderful forum. I've already learned a great deal here, and am enjoying the mini-challenges. There are a lot of excellent photographers here, and I've been impressed with the generosity folks have shown in offering help. The folks who maintain this forum do a super job of making a valuable resource -- thanks!

12-27-2009, 06:28 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Tamia.
Great to have you on board.
Look forward to your contributions here.
12-27-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hey thanks, Ash!
12-28-2009, 07:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Hi Tamia,

Welcome here!
Have fun shooting and on this forum!

12-28-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've never known such a great forum for meeting those with such a range of interests and backgrounds. Although photography is obviosly a passion shared by us all it's good to see that it is only just part of many peoples lives which is obviously the case here. Having such a breadth of experience and views on one site is to be appreciated and I'm sure you'll have some valuable things to say Tamia. And since you are into kayaking-

Justin.
12-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum! I visited your site and enjoyed the series about the German bikes. Some of the more 'unusual' ones were Dutch or at least models that are quite common on our streets. We love our bikes to! And I love my K200D.
12-29-2009, 06:51 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks very much, Iris, Justin, and Fries.

Iris - I look forward to checking in with the forum every day. I looked in at your blog and see you were in California and Texas earlier this year. Hope you enjoyed your trip.

Justin - Nice boat! What's the race?

Fries - Glad you enjoyed OUTSIDE UP NORTH. I can't take credit for the German photos -- they're Marcos Netto's of Brazil -- but I'm impressed with how much more important bicycling is in Europe than here in the USA. If you ever want to share photos or discussion about cycling in the Netherlands, just let me know. We welcome contributions from cyclists (and other active folks) all over the world.
12-29-2009, 10:37 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Iris - I look forward to checking in with the forum every day. I looked in at your blog and see you were in California and Texas earlier this year. Hope you enjoyed your trip.
I enjoyed it very much!
I am still not finished with putting my pictures on the blog, I am now sorting my Death valley pictures......
I find it a bit hard to find the time....because after that holiday I bought my K-7 !
..it's all about priorities

12-29-2009, 12:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The race was part of the UK's flat water kayaking series. The shot was taken about five years ago at Worcester, I used to do a bit myself but was spectating this time round hence the photos. Here's another-

If she can walk on air then doing it on water should be easy, so why the boat!

Justin.
12-30-2009, 06:55 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Iris -- Death Valley sounds great right about now (temperature is at 0F). Enjoy your K-7!

Justin -- HAHA, good photo!