Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2009, 08:45 PM   #1

G'day from Australia

Hello
I've been reading here for the last few weeks, thought it was time to join up, it looks like a very friendly forum.

I enjoy landscapes, nature photography, getting into a bit of portraiture.
I mainly use a DA 12-24mm with my trusty K10D and a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8.
One day I'm hoping for a DA* 200mm

I'm south of Sydney, Australia.

Thought I'd share a few pics.

12-28-2009, 08:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
some great shots there, welcome
12-28-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The Pelicans shot is excellent, almost like a painting - to you have a larger version to view?
12-28-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots. You don't have much reach in your current FLs for Birds In Flight though. You could also look at the DA 55-300/F4-5.8 as an affordable addition to your setup.

BTW, have a look at the BIF I've got in my gallery. The seagull was captured with a Pentax-A 70-200/F4 manual focus lens (non-SMC version) about 3-4 months after I bought a K100D Super. He flew over my head and as I turned to follow him I waited until he got a bit lower to get a better backdrop and then shot. The focus point is past him, but I like the mood. The contrast was terrible. By that stage it had gotten very overcast. I had to boost it greatly in PP and I combined it with a more interesting sky shot at a later date.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 12-28-2009 at 09:04 PM.
12-28-2009, 09:32 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

G'day mate.
Another Aussie - great to see.
Well, I'm already a fan of your work, given these introductory images.
You have an eye for creative captures.
Look forward to seeing more of you on the forum.
12-28-2009, 09:51 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments guys.

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
The Pelicans shot is excellent, almost like a painting - to you have a larger version to view?
Thankyou, I'll upload a larger one to my gallery once I get it worked out EDIT: Added.

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Nice shots. You don't have much reach in your current FLs for Birds In Flight though. You could also look at the DA 55-300/F4-5.8 as an affordable addition to your setup.

BTW, have a look at the BIF I've got in my gallery. The seagull was captured with a Pentax-A 70-200/F4 manual focus lens (non-SMC version) about 3-4 months after I bought a K100D Super. He flew over my head and as I turned to follow him I waited until he got a bit lower to get a better backdrop and then shot. The focus point is past him, but I like the mood. The contrast was terrible. By that stage it had gotten very overcast. I had to boost it greatly in PP and I combined it with a more interesting sky shot at a later date.

Dan.
Hi Dan, you've put that sky in very well, I couldn't tell it was added. I works great with the glowing tops of the waves. A mate of mine has that lens too on his K200D he loves it 'cept the lack of autofocus bugs him sometimes

I bought a cheapie Sigma 70-300mm a while ago off eBay but even when stopped down to f/8.0 it's sharpness can be pretty poor... so I find I rarely use it. That Pelican was taken with the Tammy at 75mm and cropped a bit, it was still a lot sharper than what the Sigma would have given me. Time to start saving

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
G'day mate.
Another Aussie - great to see.
Well, I'm already a fan of your work, given these introductory images.
You have an eye for creative captures.
Look forward to seeing more of you on the forum.
Cheers mate, I'm surprised how many Aussies have replied already!

Last edited by Skipen; 12-28-2009 at 10:00 PM.
12-28-2009, 11:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

South of Sydney mate where practically neighbours
Also welcome enjoy learn and buy

cheers
12-29-2009, 12:50 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Hi Skip, nice shots! The pellies are great but I love the seascape with those wonderful golden clouds... great stuff

Another aussie here but I'm north of Sydney (and wishing for south, a lot of the time, a tad cooler down there)

12-29-2009, 10:13 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Well I am not an aussie, in fact I am from the other side of the world, but still want to give you a warm welcome to this forum!
Hope you will enjoy it here!