Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2009, 05:27 PM   #1

Hi from Tasmania

Hi, I have been lurking here for a few weeks after registering to get details on a K20D that was for sale here.

My house mate bought that used K20D and I have been impressed by what it can do. So I am taking the plunge in a couple of weeks and buying a new one for myself

I live in Tasmania, Australia, on the remote west coast, surrounded by mountains and rainforests. Mostly I like shooting waterfalls, forest streams, macros and creatures (birds and other wildlife). Living where I do means I don't have to travel far to find plenty of subject material for the kind of stuff I like to capture.

Inside those forests light can be very low, and I am trying to think of the types of lenses I will need to get myself set up with something basic that will handle my needs. I am also on a limited income, and cannot afford to spend too much.

Was originally planning on a K-X, but have found one store here selling the K20D for not much more and figure I will be far better off with that than the K-x.

My current plan is the K20D with a Pentax DA 18-55 kit plus a Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Lens. The lot will cost me around $1300 AUD which is about the limit I would be able to spend

Be most interested in suggestions from others, and have thoroughly enjoyed reading the wealth of info that is on these forums, but am totally confused.

12-30-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day Just me.
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on going for the K20D.
Are you still interesting in picking up a K20D from the forum marketplace or US vendors - you could probably get it much cheaper that way. But I can understand the desire to shop locally.

It's not a bad deal, the $1300 one, although the lenses offered may not hang around with you for long, particularly if you're pursuing photography as a passionate hobby, in which case you'd probably want to trade them for a higher quality variety of lenses.

All the best in your plans.
12-30-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello from Melbourne. Glad you've decided to take the plunge and go with a K20D. As Ash has said, you could probably find that camera quite cheap on the U.S. market. Take your time with your lens choices though. Keep scouring the lens review section and try to see what will fit you best.

Tassie is a beautiful place and look forward to seeing some of your shots. Welcome.
12-31-2009, 05:02 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Hi welcome here.
Hope you will enjoy the forum!

It seem to me a terrible place to live

12-31-2009, 06:46 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome.

@Ash - Because where I live is quite a remote place I do tend to shop globally. Have not looked at the cost of this unit from USA but am only paying $899AUD for the body, which is not bad at all. I have also worked in Australian Customs and have a fair idea of their practices, so importing at that kind of price range runs the risk of extra taxes and charges. I do realise that the two lenses I am looking at right now are just starters, but hopefully they will cover most of my needs while I get used to this baby.

The Pentax 18-55 is only costing an extra $100 an I do realise that as a kit lens it is not the greatest. I should have mentioned that the Sigma is the APO version, and the reviews of that lens here are encouraging. I have a lot of learning to do, and this seems a reasonable way to start. I am looking at a couple of lenses from the USA at the moment, and the prices over there are definitely much better than here.

@Iris, yes it is an absolutely horrid place to live. Walk to the end of my street and a little way into the rainforest and you have to contend with tree ferns, waterfalls, swift flowing streams, and all manner of other terrible things. No concrete and glass for at least a hundred miles. It is terrible, but someone has to live here
12-31-2009, 07:43 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just Me Quote
@Iris, yes it is an absolutely horrid place to live. Walk to the end of my street and a little way into the rainforest and you have to contend with tree ferns, waterfalls, swift flowing streams, and all manner of other terrible things. No concrete and glass for at least a hundred miles. It is terrible, but someone has to live here
I am so jealous !!!!
...Australia is on my wish list to visit

Perhaps good to mention that I am a biologist and this makes me drool
12-31-2009, 12:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Hi and welcome from another Aussie.
WOW !!, West Coast of Tassie, or anywhere in Tassie come to that, Your one very fortunate photographer and should be able to get some rally great shots without having to go very far. Your environment has to be one of the few most untouched and unmolested areas left in the world.
Be sure to put some for us to view, I will really look forward to that.
12-31-2009, 03:59 PM   #8

Original Poster
@Iris. You would absolutely love this region. We get an average rainfall each year of around 3 metres, so everything is quite lush. The diversity of life has to be seen to be believed, especially if you watch out for the little things like insects and fungus.

Thanks for the welcome Bramela. I settled in the west after doing a 4 month camping trip around the state (something I hope to be repeating later this year). Originally planned on staying in this area for about a year, but have now been here for four and still not finished exploring just my local surrounds. Am looking forward to posting some shots once I have the new toy figured out.

01-01-2010, 04:07 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Just Me Quote
I bet the damn crickets, circadas, frogs & birds make a awful racket too!

(Sympathetic) Dan.