Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Snapping pics from Sac to Truckee

Hi everyone,

Count me among the deluge of newbie Pentax DSLR adopters thanks to Amazon's great deals on the K-X. I live in Sacramento and have been using P&S cameras thus far, so DSLR is an entirely new realm for me.

I initially purchased the Canon T1i, but returned it because I couldn't justify the price difference from the K-X. So far, I've been very happy with my decision and it's been great learning about the exposure triangle.

My K-X kit came with the 18-55mm and 55-300mm lenses, but I'm chomping at the bit to get a prime lens. While I had the Canon, I played around a bit with a 50mm f1.8 lens and enjoyed it. Between the DA 70mm f2.4 or DA 40mm f2.8, which would be the better lens to buy if I could only buy one? I have a rebate that can be used for either, but am undecided thus far...

Last edited by einstrigger; 01-05-2010 at 12:44 PM.
01-05-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum.
You'll have no trouble enjoying shooting with the K-x.
Take one thing at a time - warm into your current setup and find the focal length you'd most use in a prime lens. I'd also advise starting off (if you're keen to) with the versatile FA 50 f/1.4 lens - the most cost-effective way to increase the creativity in your shots.
01-05-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello and welcome from up in Yuba City.

I've got both the 40 and 70 and think it'd be a tough call between the two. The answer to the question is really going to have to start with you. How will you use this lens? You will, of course, be duplicating focal lengths with either lens, so what purpose will one of these lenses serve you that your existing lenses don't?
01-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome. Thus far I've just been taking pics of everything, but I really enjoy candid portraits and landscape shots. With that said, I don't like being up too "in-your-face" close when taking the portraits, as it kinda ruins the natural feeling of the subject. Not sure if i'm describing it correctly, but I dislike people posing. Maybe that would exclude the 40mm lens for me.

Anyhow, I was just excited because the rebate I have would bring the 40mm f2.8 closer in price to the 50mm f1.4 lens and the 70mm to $450 or so. All said and done, I think I'll just keep messing with the kit lens in the meantime. I do have a lot to learn and my rebates won't expire until July 2010 or so. I'm heading up to a ski resort this weekend, so i'll get to mess with the 55-300mm

01-05-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi welcome to this forum,
Hope you will enjoy it.
Have fun with your new K-x!

I would go for the 40mm (or 50), but that's just because I prefer shooting with short lenses!