Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2010, 05:55 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hello from Wellington, New Zealand

Hi all.

I am new, having bought my first DSLR after many years of film followed by a point and shoot digital camera.
I have a Pentax K10d (bought second hand) with a Topcor 28mm f2.8, a Pentax SMC M 50mm f1.7, a Pentax DAL 18mm-55mm (kit lens), a Sigma DL 28mm-200mm f3.5-5.6 and an Admiral 400mm f5.9

I am looking for a Pentax 100-300mm or similar. The Admiral is average at best and the 200mm is just a touch short.

I decided to bite the bullet and get a DSLR after my son bought a Canon 20D and my son in law a Canon 450D.

I was tempted(very briefly) to buy a Canon but the pull (back) to Pentax was too strong.

01-06-2010, 12:05 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Sounds like you have a bit of collection of lenses going there.

Good work resisting the Canon urge. Glad to have you with us & welcome from a Melburnian.
01-06-2010, 12:29 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gi'day from Brissie. Tell me about the Admiral 400mm. I've never heard of that brand.

I use a DA 55-300/F4-5.8 for outdoor sports.

Dan.
01-06-2010, 12:35 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum.
What made you choose Pentax with all that Canon around you?
Your lineup's good for starters - you'll have a lot to grow into.

01-06-2010, 12:39 AM   #5
Forum Member

Hi from another Wellingtonian. Glad to hear you stuck with Pentax - I went through the same process myself about two years ago when I converted to digital. There was a lot of pressure from other photography friends to switch to Canon.
01-06-2010, 12:43 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Gi'day from Brissie. Tell me about the Admiral 400mm. I've never heard of that brand.

I use a DA 55-300/F4-5.8 for outdoor sports.

Dan.
01-06-2010, 12:51 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by albatross Quote
Glad to hear you stuck with Pentax - I went through the same process myself about two years ago when I converted to digital. There was a lot of pressure from other photography friends to switch to Canon.
Pentax users have to think outside the square, became at the present time, the mindset square within which most potential DSLR purchasers operate is severely distorted - it only has two sides: Canon and Nikon. Here's the limit of their concept of freedom-of-choice: "Which camera are you getting? A Canon or a Nikon?"

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 01-06-2010 at 01:05 AM.
01-06-2010, 07:36 AM   #8

New Zealand vs. Australia

I used to work with a lady from NZ who understood that not many of her compatriots came to the U.S. and wanted to describe what they were like. Her line?

"Kiwis are just like Aussies only nicer."
01-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi welcome here,
Hope you will enjoy the forum and your K10d!

Have fun shooting!
01-06-2010, 04:01 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
It's great that you have "exotic" lenses.
Heard lots of good things from Topcor.
K10D is an excellent camera (I had the same sensor I Think on a K200D). Have you already found the right software to develop your files?
01-06-2010, 05:22 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses.

I resisted Canon and Nikon because I had some good Pentax mount lens. I have never owned a Canon or a Nikon although it would have made sense as my son and son in law have, between them, a great lens collection. I would not have needed to buy lens!

The Admiral 400mm I know little about. A client who owns a camera shop looked at my existing 400mm lens, which had some fungus, and threw it in the bin and gave me the admiral. It is a T2 mount with preset appeture. It is OK but I have not been able to find out anything about it from the net.

I have, for software, the Pentax software plus Elements 6. I am also going to use the Canon software for jpegs as it appears to be better than what both Pentax and Elements offer. My son is using the latest Adobe Lightroom (beta version) and this looks impressive.

I must go the Brisbane one day Dan. Ive been to Perth, Melbourne and Sydney. Only Adelaide, Hobart and Brisbane to go.

Graeme
01-06-2010, 05:56 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mitsilad Quote
I must go the Brisbane one day Dan. Ive been to Perth, Melbourne and Sydney. Only Adelaide, Hobart and Brisbane to go.

Graeme
If you do come to Brissie, post a notice in the SE Queensland Social Group page so we arrange a meetup.

The M50/F1.7 is the most used out of my manual lenses.

I believe you guys get a lot of rain in NZ. So show us some nice looming thunder-cloud or rushing torrent shots.

I believe there are lots of beautiful places too, so post away.

Dan.
01-09-2010, 12:06 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Hey mate from another Wellyite. Head over to here for a few other Kiwis in this forum. Welcome along
01-11-2010, 11:51 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As hostess of the picture of the week # 96 this week, I want to tell you please feel free to post here something you shot this week or last week!
01-16-2010, 04:18 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks Dan.

We certainly have had some rain. The current Wellington joke is that we are having a mild winter! At least it was fine on Saturday 9th for my daughters wedding. I was not impressed with any of my photography at the dance. It almost seems as though the K10 was slightly out on its focus point. Mind you it could have been the Sigma 28-200 lens with flash but more likely me!

I will try for some weather shots. I have yet to learn how to upload photos.