Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #1

New to the Pentax World -- Just got a K-7

Hello from Houston. Thank you for having me on this forum.

I love taking pictures, and have been using a smal digital camera for years. We just bought a Pentax K-7, and I am learning to use it. I primarily like to take pics of sunsets, nature, flowers, kids, grandkids, and high school soccer games.

I welcome advice because I am just starting out. If anyone knows of a good book or website to help me learn the basics, I'm all ears. I'm having a good time just messing around with it so far. Funny how quickly I can get five or six hundred pics on the camera.

Happy shooting everybody!

01-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Hi Lady!

Wellcome!

You've already found one of the greatest pentax sites... you're reading it...
Here you'll find a LOT of things to learn to use your camera an many others :P
01-08-2010, 04:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi welcome here,
Hope you will enjoy the forum!

Best way to learn is to do a lot of shooting (and reading this forum of course )!
01-08-2010, 04:57 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

There's a good little eBook for the K-7 written by Yvon Bourque - click here - it's quite useful in getting to grips with it all. It helped me

Enjoy

01-08-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

G'day and welcome to the forum.
My suggestion to starting off in photography is to learn the fundamentals from a good book like Brian Peterson's Understanding Exposure. It is an invaluable resource and well worth the few dollars you pay for it. Easy to read and follow, it assumes nothing and is relevant in any photographic application.

All the best and look forward to your involvement in the forum.
01-08-2010, 08:10 PM   #6

Original Poster
Awesome! Thanks!

Thank you all for your kind welcome!

I checked out the link, Nass. Wonderful! I appreciate that and will peruse it further.

And Ash... you're not going to believe this! I have purchased one book to get me started and it just so happens it is Peterson's book that you recommended. I ordered it through amazon.com and it just came. I haven't delved in yet, but soon will. How happy I am with your recommendation!

I am thankful for this forum! Wish you all the very best!
01-10-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Heya Sunset Lady. All the best learning with your new K7.

Welcome
01-11-2010, 01:13 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Sunset Lady, welcome to this forum. It can be overwhelming from time to time, but it's a good
point to start learning, if you take the time to search the forums thoroughly. Hope you
have a good time here, and of course outside, with your new K7!

01-11-2010, 04:32 AM   #9
Site Supporter

As hostess of the picture of the week # 96 this week, I want to tell you please feel free to post something here you shot this week or last week!