Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2007, 07:43 AM   #1
Pentaxian

The Netherlands calling...

This is just like the AA meetings you read about! My name is Mike (hello Mike) and I have just switched to a K110D from a Canon Powershot Pro1 which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I am a firm believer and contributor to FOS (Free and Open Software) so I host the Dutch and Belgian webforums of PCLinuxOS, a Desktop Linux distribution with its roots in Mandrake 9.1

I also dabble with scripts and image manipulation software to come up with a satisfying workflow for RAW processing on Linux. One of the results of that dabbling is UFRaw-Assist 0.20 ( Here )

I use Digikam, Cinepaint and a variety of Windows utilities under Wine.

I selected a Pentax for two reasons:
1) I owned and operated a K1000 for nearly 30 years and enjoyed the rugged simplicity of that camera and the good quality lenses.
2) I was fed up with the policy of Canon and Nikon to sell you a body without functionality and a glass bottle for a lens, just to lock you in to thousands of dollars worth of upgrades.
3) So I said 2 reasons, so what? I basically set my budget ahead of time and attempted to "assemble" a good P&S from DSLR "parts". I tried my best at equally dividing that budget over the electro/mechanical and the optical parts that make up a camera. Having used the K110D for only a couple of weeks, I fell in love with it. It is just a photographer's camera. Would I have liked shake reduction? Sure, but not at the cost of the optics.

My bag now contains the K110D, a Sigma 24-135mm/F2.8-4.5 fullframe, a Cosina 19-35mm ("plastic fantastic"), a right-angle finder and a K1000 leftover: the Pentax 50mm/F2.0 and I actually overran my budget by only 40 Euro (grand total 630 Euro)

I am quite happy to talk about lenses and gadgets, but my first priority is trying to learn photography and make pleasing images. Preliminary results (K110D) and an overview of my older work on other cameras are on my PBase site at Mike's Photo Galleries at pbase.com

I am looking forward to learning and contributing here.

Mike

06-25-2007, 09:31 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the "meeting" Ok the first step was announcing yourself and you've completed step 2 admitting your sins (Canon). Step 3 you made atonement for those sins (getting a K110D. Now for the other 9 steps....
Lol
Enjoy! it's a great forum