Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2010, 04:18 PM   #1

Greetings from Pasadena

Hello All--

Just a few words of introduction: I am now on my second Pentax--like a great number of beginning high school photography students, I had a K1000 when I was a teenager and learning to shoot, develop film and print. Once I left high school and no longer had unlimited access to a darkroom, film and supplies, I found other hobbies and largely quit shooting. More recently, I started thinking that I'd like to get back into photography in a serious way and get back to doing what I enjoyed, shooting and printing in black and white, maybe in medium format this time. I happened to mention this to my wife, and she, wanting to encourage my creative impulses and being generally indulgent, tracked down a nice 6X7 MLU and gave it to me for Christmas. (Now I'm casually mentioning that I'd really like a nice vintage Porsche in the garage; we'll see what happens.) So now I've begun to accumulate lenses, accessories, etc., and to carve out some time to go out and shoot. I'm looking forward to relearning all my old skills and to acquiring new knowledge--especially about local photo resources in Southern California, for those of you in the area. (I've found Samy's and Freestyle already.)

BTW, does anyone make a really good medium-format bag?

01-28-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi welcome to this forum,
I hope you will enjoy it!

You probably already saw the Pentax Medium Format: 645, 6x7, 645D forum!
01-29-2010, 01:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd like a vintage Porche as well.. I don't like your chances..

Look forward to your contributions & welcome in
01-29-2010, 09:45 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Iris Quote
Hi welcome to this forum,
I hope you will enjoy it!

You probably already saw the Pentax Medium Format: 645, 6x7, 645D forum!
That's my next stop--thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
I'd like a vintage Porche as well.. I don't like your chances..

Look forward to your contributions & welcome in
I don't like my chances either. But the 6X7 was a very nice and unexpected gift. (Partially made possible by everyone making the digital move over the last few years and leaving some great film cameras orphaned.)

Thanks for the welcome!

01-30-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello and welcome Clark..... I've been putzing around the garage most of the day, going from my espresso bar to my camera area. My two brothers and I were and still are photo-hounds. I'm an ex-USAF combat photo type from the Vietnam era. (www.601st.com) I started doing part time event and commercial work when I returned to college in '70. My first "100 lbs." of camera crap to lug around was the Kowa 6, which I bought from Frank's Highland Park Camera. That was THE camera shop in SoCal during the 70's. I finally sold my Kowa system, which had grown to 3 bodies and many lenses, and think I then bought the Pentax MX, with a small grouping of SMC-M lenses, which only a couple months ago I put back into service with a used ist-D I bought from a forum member... and just recently a K10d I bought. If you'd like private-message me and maybe we can exchange some info. My oldest brother gave me his medium format Mamiya 645-1000s system... he thinks to sell, but I'm wondering if there's a market for it? I've check, and I think his lenses are going to garner more than the body? He even has a 500mm catadioptic astrological lense. I'm not far from you, and we have an aunt in So.Pas. that we're going to visit tomorrow, Sunday. I'm out that way often. Best, Al