Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2007, 09:21 PM   #1

Kissing Film Goodbye

I'm finally accepting the notion that I won't be shooting film any more. I haven't done so in many years, despite my initial resistance to digital photography.

My mainstay for 20-some years was a K1000; when my wife decided she wanted to take her own pictures I got her a P3 so that we could include lenses among the many other things we swapped.

But I veered from Pentax for a while, breaking into the digital world with an Olympus. One of the first Optios (the 3 MP variety) followed; then, as I published more photos, I bought a Casio EX-P600 because of its then-whopping 6 MP resolution and external flash connector.

A couple of weeks ago I decided I'd had enough. Pentax was offering rebates, I found a long-term no-interest financing deal at Circuit City, and I impulse-bought a K10D with its kit lens (the 18-55) and a 50-200, thus maximizing my money back. I've been thrilled and intimidated in equal parts.

A week later, realizing my old Sunpak flash wasn't going to do much, I bought the AF360. Now I'm coveting a battery grip, but so far I'm holding back.

Meanwhile, I picked up both the new Magic Lantern book and Yvon Bourque's chatty and very helpful guide. Tucked a 4 gig card into the camera and have been going nuts with it.

What with the financial plunge, I feel the need to prove a deep commitment lest my wife should see this as yet another frivolous flirtation with gadgetry. But she's pleased, at least, to get the Casio.

I often photograph restaurants that I review for the Albany, NY-area alternative weekly, Metroland, so my shots end up in black-and-white on newsprint, like so. But the new camera gives me so much more control, not to mention depth of field once again!

All of which is a long way around of saying hello, thanking you for the help you've already given as I struggled to choose and then learn this gear, and looking forward to making the most of this excellent camera.

-- Byron Nilsson

06-26-2007, 09:50 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum! You'll find a lot of friendly people here all eager to see your photos and help you with any questions you may have!