Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2010, 01:25 PM   #1

Hi from chilly Perthshire

I have joined this forum because I am thinking of buying a Pentax K7 camera and am hoping for some advice. I used a film SLR a long while ago - but put it away when the children came along and I decided that a point and shoot was more practical - I now have a lovely wee Ricoh point and shoot which I keep in my handbag which takes great photos - nice closeups etc. However we are going to Southg Africa and Botswana in the summer and I have decided that I would like to get into proper cameras again. I have read reviews of the K7 and like the sound of it - the size and robustness is attractive. I am concerned that it might be too much for a DSLR beginner - but am keen to learn and also we have about 5 old pentax lenses which might be good to resurrect. Any thoughts on the K7 or on getting old lenses out of the cupboard and checking that they are still roadworthy would be very welcome.
Cheers Helen

01-30-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you join us. It may pay for you to pose your questions in the Pentax Beginners Forum as I'm sure you'll get more replies there.
01-30-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hey Helen welcome to the forum. I don't own the K7 myself, but you could just jump in there and give it a go. Enjoy your trip.
01-31-2010, 05:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi welcome to this forum,
I hope you will enjoy it!

I had lot's of fun with my point and shoot until I decided I wanted more.
After thinking, reading, more thinking and discussing things with people, I had three choices left:

K-x (not weather resistant, light)
K20d (weather resistant, heavy and big for my small hands)
K-7 (weather resistant, a bit lighter, but expensive)

I bought in December the Pentax K-7, but I was still not sure if it was too much for a DSLR beginner!

Now I am really happy with it .... I bought a bunch of old manual lenses and a M42 converter .... and I love every second spending with my camera!

01-31-2010, 11:32 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks Iris, I contacted a wildlife photographer who had posts a photo which he had taken with the K7 and he has said that he recommends it - he even said that compared to some other DSLRs it is not so complicated - in terms of menus - so I think I will go for it.
Thanks
02-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great, I am sure you are going to enjoy the camera very much