Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #1

Hello from Michigan. New K-x owner

Hi all. I am a new member to the forum and I just received a new Pentax K-x. I purchased the camera Saturday morning from Adorama with free shipping and it's here already! I love the K-x already. I have small hands so it feels really comfortable. First thing I did was update the firmware to 1.01 with no problems. This is my first DSLR. In the early 70's (yes, I'm old), I had a Minolta SRT 101 and took a photography class at a local university. I had a lot of good times with that Minolta but it died about 14 years later. Because I had several lenses, I got a Minolta X-370. I still have that one, but I haven't used film in several years. I've had a couple of digital compact cameras because good quality DSLRs have been rather expensive. The Pentax K-x is the quality I've wanted at a price that was irresistible. I settled on the K-x because I want to take photos using a telephoto lens, low light situations, and pics of my 2 long-haired black dogs. I need the high ISO and dynamic range capabilities of this camera. I've taken a few practice pics already and this camera just feels right. The K-x is going to be a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to participating in the forum.

02-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow, do I have some fond memories of Michigan. We flew into the Upper Peninsula area (photographer's paradise in itself) somewhere and boarded a ferry for Isle Royale. Once on the island (s) we hiked and portaged for 2 weeks--moose in abundance and cliff jumping on the side--some kind of Eden!

Well, it sure is great to have someone who so carefully selected their DSLR, as opposed to someone who just looks at an ad in a magazine and says there it is. That Kx is one fine camera; it has to be the best buy in DSLR land right now--congratulations. I look forward to your participation in this awesome forum.

WELCOME!!!
02-03-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, fellow Michigander.

-Mark
02-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #4

Original Poster
Yes, I've been looking for months. I almost purchased a Canon XSi, but at the last second (almost literally), I came across the K-x. When I read the Dpreview, I was blown away and spent several hours reading everything on the internet I could find about the K-x. I slept on the idea and then ordered it the next morning. Pentax has always produced quality cameras so I decided to buy one even though I hadn't seen it in person. By the way, I agree that Michigan is very photogenic.

02-04-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi welcome to this forum,
I hope you will enjoy it!

In case you want to show us your photos from this week or last week (just normal stuff, it doesn't have to be fancy), you are always welcome to contribute to the picture of the week!
Or if you are up to the weekly challenge #124 - Melancholy, you are more than welcome to post a picture until saturday!

Have fun with your K-x!
02-05-2010, 11:34 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I'm glad you chose Pentax Marv. Welcome in & good luck with your photography.