Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
Inactive Account

camerashy99 introductions

Hi all. New kid in town. Lots of questions and lots to learn. Drawn to Pentax cameras. Not sure because don't know if best camera for me. Would welcome any and all input about advice on best dslr. Like Pentax want to believe it's as good as Canon and Nikon.

02-09-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome camerashy99! A Pentax DSLR can be better than a Canon or Nikon for you. It just depends on what your needs are and if those needs are best addressed by the features of a specific Pentax camera. So if you give us some insight in what you want from a camera I am sure the members here will steer you in the right direction! Just take your time and browse trough the knowledge that is already available on this forum. And whatever you choose; enjoy your hobby!

Last edited by Fries; 02-09-2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Forgot one "a" in camerashy...
02-09-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum. There is no best camera, only the best camera for what you like. I prefer Pentax for the features that match my shooting style. Checkout some of the clubs like the takumar club and others to see what Pentax can do, then I would go to a camera store to see what feels right for you.
Have fun
02-09-2010, 04:15 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
Welcome to the forum. There is no best camera, only the best camera for what you like. I prefer Pentax for the features that match my shooting style. Checkout some of the clubs like the takumar club and others to see what Pentax can do, then I would go to a camera store to see what feels right for you.
Have fun
Thank you. Do you feel Pentax can be used for serious amateurs who would like to sell some of their wares. dppreview.com seems to me to suggest otherwise.

02-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Welcome camerashy99! A Pentax DSLR can be better than a Canon or Nikon for you. It just depends on what your needs are and if those needs are best addressed by the features of a specific Pentax camera. So if you give us some insight in what you want from a camera I am sure the members here will steer you in the right direction! Just take your time and browse trough the knowledge that is already available on this forum. And whatever you choose; enjoy your hobby!
Yes thank you. I love nature. I lean towards wildlife, landscapes and great outdoors under all weather conditions. I also have interest in b&w. Want to be able to sell at least photostock to recoupe expenses. Have limited budget and just want to make the best informed decision. Thanks
02-10-2010, 02:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Don't think. Buy. With a limited budget, you can pick up a used/refurbished K20D?

Welcome in.
02-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To elaborate on fractal his good advice; the K20D or even the K200D might not be the newest cameras's but they are very good build, weathersealed and as such are perfect for shooting opportunities in bad weather. Off course without a weathersealed or weatherresistant lens the benefits of the seals on the camera are a bit limited. The best b&w photo's are made when you shoot in raw and develop a b&w in post processing in my short experience. If you want more and better advice I suggest you post your questions in for example the Pentax Beginner Corner on this forum. Good luck!