Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2010, 11:26 AM   #1

Just took my K-x out of the box.

Greetings from Wisconsin and a new K-x owner.

During the 60's my uncle brought me an Asahi Pentax when he came back from Asia. That camera was a real treasure for many years. It no longer works but I still have it. I have had several SLR's and digital point and shoots since then. I finally got a Canon XSi but my son took it to Argentina (I miss then both). I just bought the K-x.

Yesterday was a bright snow-white day as I took the camera out for the first time. I did not expect to be able to use the LCD but I was disappointed by the very dim display of the settings in the viewfinder. I assume I must be doing something wrong but I can't find an adjustment for viewfinder display brightness. Even using Av the pictures turned out very good and nicely exposed but I really don't know how because I could not see any settings. I want to use manual and Av most of the time.

I am new to this forum which seems exceptionally friendly and civilized compared to lots of other forums. Lots of the photos on this forum have been very impressive. I am still looking around for the FAQ page to see if my viewfinder problem has been discussed.

My immediate goal is to use the K-x to submit an entry in the photo-calendar competition at work. Deadline is the end of April so I need to learn to use the K-x soon.

02-28-2010, 11:37 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by pmslax Quote
Greetings from Wisconsin and a new K-x owner.
Yesterday was a bright snow-white day as I took the camera out for the first time. I did not expect to be able to use the LCD but I was disappointed by the very dim display of the settings in the viewfinder. I assume I must be doing something wrong but I can't find an adjustment for viewfinder display brightness. Even using Av the pictures turned out very good and nicely exposed but I really don't know how because I could not see any settings. I want to use manual and Av most of the time.
Welcome to the world of the K-x, it's a great camera despite several crippling faults. Viewfinder brightness and size are two popular complaints, and it's something you'll have to learn to live with. I don't use the viewfinder for anything except checking focus and composition (and focus is still hard, especially with fast lenses). I have not had a problem using the LCD outdoors, but bright sun is a very rare commodity in Michigan, to match our economy, the sky is perpetually dull and gray.

The K-x likes to underexpose in the snow, even with spot metering ... I usually set the exposure compensation up a few ticks.
02-28-2010, 01:13 PM   #3

Original Poster
I'll learn to do that.

" Viewfinder brightness and size are two popular complaints, and it's something you'll have to learn to live with. I don't use the viewfinder for anything except checking focus and composition (and focus is still hard, especially with fast lenses). "

I will change my approach and avoid the viewfinder. That will be different for me. Thanks, I will stop looking for a brightness adjustment.
02-28-2010, 03:50 PM   #4

I did not mean to suggest to avoid the viewfinder, it is the point of owning a SLR after all.

I'm just saying, personally, I don't bother with the data readout that is in the viewfinder. When using manual focus, I do notice the little hexagon flashing and then changing to solid with the "beep", and I also notice the lightning bolt flashing letting me know the camera thinks I should use a flash. The exposure settings I read and program off the back panel. I like the Av mode myself, whien I have time to fiddle. Otherwise it's the green(horn) mode or P for me!

02-28-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Welcome from Australia.

It may pay to submit your questions in the beginners area. You are more likely to get a lot more feedback from your question(s).

Good luck with the competition