Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #1

New to DSLR so I bought a K-X, any recommendations?

I am as green as they come. I bought numerous P&S over the last couple years and always wanted a DSLR. I chose the Pentax K-X with 18-55/55-300 Kit to start out. I will be taking classes at the local Community college in 3 months. Cant wait. I explained to my wife its cheaper than going to Sears every 3 months with the kids. LOL!
Any recommendations? The kit is just the body and 2 lenses. I get it Monday.

03-11-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome.

You need SD Card(s), a camera bag, at least 1 set of 4 AA batteries (get the Eneloops) & a charger. I'd also highly recommend reading "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. That will give you a clear understanding of the most important concepts you'll need to learn to begin to master your new camera.

Apart from that I think you’re set. Do as I say though not as I do, I bought 2 primes in my first 2 months of ownership
03-11-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, Brian.

Aside from the SD card (CHEAP!), you have everything you need to shoot coming to you on Monday, and you can use the "regular" disposable lithium batteries--which is what the kx comes with--for a long time, and replace them as needed, before you have to think about rechargeables.
03-12-2010, 04:42 AM   #4

Original Poster
Batteries...check! 2 small kids and 4 p&s cameras, I always have batteries.
SD Cards...check! I have couple 4g and 8g cards by Sandisk. No indication of class though. Will Class 2 or 4 work?
Also, I was reading the K-X manual(downloaded from Pentax website;pdf) and I didnt find anything about using a thumb drive or external hard drive through its usb connection. Is that possible?
As for books, thank you for the recommendation! There are so so many out there. I will be going to the book store today to take a look. Last month I was there and I saw literally thousands of photography books. I was looking at the "for dummies" series. Any thoughts on them?
I have to also say I was quite suprised at the quick responses to my 1st post. Thank you! Almost like a new home! I will be sure to review many previous threads before I start asking redundant questions/thoughts. Or maybe I will just ramble away mindlessly. hehehe.
Thank you again.

03-12-2010, 06:24 AM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

I haven't seen any posts about using external drives on the KX, so probably not. But with the low cost and high capacity of SD cards, do you need it anyway?
03-12-2010, 06:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

the first thing you should do imo is to install the 1.01 firmware on the camera in order to avoid battery issues

here's all you need to know: Latest K-x Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX
03-12-2010, 07:28 AM   #7

Original Poster
Hey Ira,
Well the reason I was wondering about the external hard drive or thumb drives is because of the speeds needed for the 720p video. Also, according to the manual, only 11mins 45secs for a 4 gb card and I didnt see anything about the speeds/class req'd for the sd cards. That info I summized from various other posts and reviews that mentioned I may need a class 6 SD card for video. With that in mind I was thinking if I was able to save images and video directly to an external HDD, I could just hook it up right to my TV(Samsung LN52B750). I have many other images and movies that I took with my other P&Ss and then used my laptop to transfer to my HDD. I have done that with thumb drives too. Just a thought though.
I guess I should just wait until I get it. I get ahead of myself sometimes. I've never even used a DSLR before and I am already on the fringe. LOL!

03-12-2010, 07:43 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

I haven't shot any video yet (don't know if I ever will), but there are some threads here about the various grades of SD cards and their write speeds and storage capacities.

If I want to shoot video, I have my 13-year-old son do it with his HD cam:

He's better at it anyway!

By the way--do you plan on using any old glass on that new baby of yours? If so, do yourself a favor and order the "official" M42-Pk adapter from Pentax NOW while they have them. They're very spotty on having inventory of that on hand.
03-12-2010, 07:52 AM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

I think it's really cool that you're going to take classes, but be aware of something:

Unless your teacher is familiar with the KX, you are going to be way ahead of the curve on this. This camera has capabilities/ways of doing things that your teacher may be totally unaware of, and you're going to have to teach him or her!

In other words, spend a lot of time HERE first!
03-12-2010, 08:58 AM   #10

Original Poster
I think its cool too. I am very excited!
According to the synopsis (link here... Noncredit Schedule of Classes - Harford Community College ), it looks like it is for people like myself that just bought a dslr and want to know more. I will probably take DP1 & 2 and the "Advanced". It's pretty cheap and close by. Even if he/she knows nothing about the K-X, the "brain picking" would be worth the fee. I will be HERE for a long time. I have already read 250 or so posts/20 threads this morning.
As for older lenses...I am kicking myself for not buying a BOX of old Pentax and Minolta lenses. I was at an estate auction a few years back and in the basement was a dark room and alot of camera stuff. The auctioneer was auctioning "whole rooms" instead of individual items. Well, make a long story short, the winner walked out of the basement with a box of no less than 12 pentax lenses and 7 Canon lenses and a slew of Minolta stuff. She knew her husband would like them(she had no idea). She threw out most everything in the room except the lenses and cameras. All that stuff for $125. I was there with my wife to bid on the bedroom. Hindsight is 20/20. [leg is getting tired]
03-12-2010, 01:05 PM   #11

Original Poster
My KX is here!!! YAY! But...

Okay "Fellow Pentaxians"! I can say that now. It just arrived. I was suprised this morning when I got an e-mail from UPS indicating that it would be here today. I just ordered it yesterday at 3:18pm and paid $12 for ground shipping(3-5 days). The e-mail confirmation from where I purchased it said to expect it on Monday. 2 day shipping would have been over $45. This is just crazy. I am so pleased! I unwrapped it and the only thing I dont see is a "warrenty card". I looked through the whole thing twice. Nothing was wrong with the packaging. I did get the cards with matching serial numbers, but those cards specifically say they are not warranty cards. Is there a "card" I should have? Or do I just register it?
03-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by buffalobrian Quote
Okay "Fellow Pentaxians"! I can say that now. It just arrived. I was suprised this morning when I got an e-mail from UPS indicating that it would be here today. I just ordered it yesterday at 3:18pm and paid $12 for ground shipping(3-5 days). The e-mail confirmation from where I purchased it said to expect it on Monday. 2 day shipping would have been over $45. This is just crazy. I am so pleased! I unwrapped it and the only thing I dont see is a "warrenty card". I looked through the whole thing twice. Nothing was wrong with the packaging. I did get the cards with matching serial numbers, but those cards specifically say they are not warranty cards. Is there a "card" I should have? Or do I just register it?
You register online. I think the link is in the manual.
03-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #13

As for the warranty stuff, register it and save your sales slip. I went DSLR a year ago, with a new *ist DS - needed it to do some macro work that my P&S wouldn't do. Found I had manual focus issues which Pentax repaired no charge.
I started with just the kit 18-55, which is a pretty decent lens. Next addition was a 50-200 which I find I don't use as much as I thought I would, probably because my P&S has 10x optical zoom and image stabilization and does an incredible job on telephoto shots. Last glass purchase was an A series 50mm 1:1.4, which I bought after trying the screw mount version. It can give a shallow depth of field which you can't get with the kit lens, and the large aperture is great for those low light shots where you want more range than the flash will give.
I'm sure you'll enjoy the DSLR. You'll find that you're not limited by the capabilities of a P&S, but basically by your own imagination. Have fun!

Al
03-12-2010, 02:44 PM   #14
Ira
Inactive Account

BTW:

I ordered from B&H, plus other stuff, and the box didn't include an invoice OR a packing slip. They PDF'd me the invoice after I already registered via the body's serial # only, but the invoice also indicates a serial # for the KIT, although body and lens have their own.

I assume, hopefully, that they can easily match these numbers up, but as long as you have a copy of your invoice, you're cool, as long as you didn't buy grey market.

Last edited by Ira; 03-12-2010 at 04:46 PM.
03-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #15

Original Poster
warranty and cust support

I am chatting live with customer support right now.....