Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2007, 11:35 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Hello from Boston

Hello everyone,

Just discovered this great forum. I just purchased my first SLR, a K100D with the DA 50-200mm lens from B&H. Quite an upgrade from my Sony H1 and boy, do I have a lot to learn about this camera and all the setttings. The first few pictures have been great.

One problem so far. I tried to connect the camera to my 3 year old laptop and a message was displayed that indicated the device exceeded the voltage capacity of the hub. I contacted Pentax and they said to try the connection on another computer, preferrably a desktop and if I get the same message, send the camera in for repair as the camera may be putting out too much voltage.

I loaded the pictures plugging in the SD card directly to the computer and that worked fine. My wife will be taking the camera to work and will test it on her new desktop PC. Sure hope it works.

Shaw

07-09-2007, 12:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just wanted to say hi and welcome. Your are in my favorite town (so far) to visit. Of course home to the Sox!!. I have not read about the problem you are having but hope you get it fixed. Welcome to the site again.
07-09-2007, 01:57 PM   #3

I had a hub do that one time, but not with my camera. It was simply too many thing plugged in to the hub.
07-09-2007, 03:31 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Welcome to the Pentax family, got a K100D as well and the DA50-200, all I can say is that it is a fantastic camera. The 50-200 lens IMHO is a steal for its price, a very capable lens and not too intrusive in size. Try the DA16-45 too, another stellar performer as Benjamin K posted in one of his posts. Enjoy it and congratulation.

Cheers,

Rene R

07-10-2007, 10:22 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Good news/Bad News

Thanks for the welcomes to the Forum. We are all Red Sox fans and dare I say at one time I was a Boston Braves fan but that was a long time ago. I will be testing the 50-200mm lens at an upcoming baseball game my son pitches in.

At any rate, my wife took the camera to work, loaded the software and connected the camera to her new desktop PC with no problems at all. Looks like my older laptop just cannot accomodate the voltage output from the K100, something that did not surprise the Pentax tech I spoke with. Never had a problem with my Sony H1 but that is powered by only 2AA so I wonder if the 4AA in the Pentax is the problem?? At least I can load the pictures by plugging in the SD card directly to the PC.

Shaw
07-10-2007, 04:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

To save power on your camera ... it is better to plug the card straight into your laptop anyway ... I am finding this with my camera as well ... I plug it straight into a card reader and it saves time and battery life as well.

Well done on the new purchase ... it's a bit of a learning curve at first ... but once you get the hang of it ... you will be very pleased with the outcome and wonder why you didn't take the plunge sooner (I know that's the case with me).