Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Greetings everyone.

Hello!

Just testing the functionality of the forum. Tried to post in the beginners corner, but cannot find the thread, so i prob. did something wrong.

Anyway, thank you all for keeping up a great forum for Pentax enthusiasts around the world!

DV8

03-18-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well you succeded in posting here just fine! Welcome!
03-18-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums. To avoid spambots from flooding the forums, new members and their posts are locked until a moderator checks, reads and opens the thread. The regular members think we just sit around drinking beer eyes

I've read your other thread, deleted the duplicate version and responded to the noisy camera question.
03-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome DV8.
Hope you enjoy your time online with us.
Look forward to your contributions here.

03-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
The regular members think we just sit around drinking beer
To be precise, we hope that you also sit around drinking beer. I mean, it's only fair.
03-18-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
To be precise, we hope that you also sit around drinking beer. I mean, it's only fair.
03-18-2010, 02:34 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
Well you succeded in posting here just fine! Welcome!
Thanks! New to Pentax, but not new to cameras, nor digital cameras:

Hi all Pentax users!

I came late into the Pentax crowd, and just because my compacts didn't quite make it! My first digital was a Konica KD-500 compact, and my last was a Canon (my wife's last was a nice Nikon), with a few of Olympuses between (C-8080, 725SW ...).

The Nikon 5100 is extremely nice in normal lighting, the 725SW is very nice in hard lighting, the C-8080 is a blessing with a good flash, although the CCD is fairly small (8MP). I also have a Fuji S9500 zoom, which has a longer zoom than the Olympus C-8080, but smaller chip, with slightly higher resolution). The Fuji is really excellent in good light, but quite abysmal in bad lighting, and always tricky white-balance-wise!

I wanted something that worked fairly well in bad lighting, and had a fairly big chip, size-wise (as big physical size means less noise), if not extremely big pixel-wise. And I wanted a DSLR, as dirt on the sensor had become a problem with almost all our compact cameras.

There were a few candidates (in the price-range I could afford), including the Nikon D300S and the Olympus E-P1/2. And a few others, including the K-x, which had the benefit of a built-in viewfinder. The D300S was just to massive for my wife, but she leaned towards buying the EP ... I liked the tiny K-x, and not least its friendly price.

The light weight of the E-P1/2 is nice, but the lack of built-in viewfinder is not that nice, nor is the fairly quadratic (old TV style) CCD format.

The Pentax K-x seemed to have it all: right resolution, right format, and a good high ISO. And now after about five thousand pictures I have just one grumble - the kit lens could have been even better, say F. 2.8!

The rest is just smiles :-)!

Tord S Eriksson
Sweden

03-18-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You realize of course the number of misconceptions you have that we'll need to disabuse you of?
03-18-2010, 11:29 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Welcome in DV8 and good luck getting to the bottom of your problem.