Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2010, 11:39 PM   #1

Yet another Aussie - Wagga Wagga (NSW)

g'day from inland Australia

(No, we don't all live in coastal cities here ) This probably sounds really dumb - and it is - but I've just woken up that I can use all my old Pentax P30 lenses on a DLSR. So, after a few years of playing with small P&S units I've taken the plunge with a K7 (minus the expected expenditure on new lenses !)

Wow - what CAN'T I do with this thing ?

I've had a few teething problems though - when the camera was only about a week old, I attempted a firmware update which 'froze' part-way through the update, rendering the camera unusable and resulting in a return to base for a new circuit board. The camera also takes occasional all-black photos for no reason I've been able to find yet. (Yes, I did remove the lens cap) Flash works, shutter appears to release, but no picture . . . ?

Anyhow, I guess I'll watch for other posts on this issue & throw in any other input which might help others along the way

cheers
gm

03-26-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum Geoff, glad to have you on board. I'm sure you'll find answers to your problems on the forum.
03-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good luck sorting your issue. Welcome in Geoff.
03-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good to have you here Geoff.
Lots of Aussies here for good measure.
Enjoy your K-7 and be sure to check in with us and post once in a while.

03-28-2010, 02:25 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Welcome Geoff!

Is the black picture happening after the return for a new circuit board? Sounds like you need to do another return
03-29-2010, 04:15 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks all for the warm welcome.

On the black pictures front (I started another thread on this - 'Pentax K7 - Black Pictures') By a process of elimination, I've just about narrowed the issue down to memory card problems.

I'm using 4GB SD cards with a 30MB/Sec transfer rate (probably an overkill in speed), & am now re-formatting the card each time I transfer the photos to PC - so far without any more black pics (fingers crossed . . . )
04-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #7

yeah sounded like an SD card issue
04-12-2010, 06:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum Geoff. There is a wealth of knowledge here that will surely help you out. Since you just got your K7 I would suggest that you check out the DSLR section if you have any questions on your new camera. I hope to see some photos from you soon.

Last edited by Tuner571; 04-18-2010 at 11:31 AM.
04-12-2010, 01:02 PM   #9
Site Supporter

A warm welcome and a G'day to one Aussie from another. Hope to hear from you lots more.
04-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Welcome to PentaxForums! Whether your interest is dSLR & lenses, film photograph or digital, medium (6 x 7, 645, and 645D) format, subminiature (110), or collecting vintage bodies & glass (Spoties, Taks etc) or a combination of the above, you are at the right place. I'm looking forward to seeing some images. There is a strong Australian Pentax following on this forum.
04-20-2010, 03:53 AM   #11

Original Poster
Black photo from K-7

Hi all - I still haven't got to the bottom of my black pictures. I've uploaded one (attached), although the upload process seems to shrink the file, so it may have corrupted the exif info in the file header.

Any suggestions anyone (assuming you can read the attached file)?? - this is my second memory card - another 4GB SanDisk Extreme (30MB/s) card. - I'm getting the same symptoms as with the original card, although this may by a problem with the batch of cards as I bought them at the same time.
Attached Images