Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2007, 11:36 AM   #1

Greetings from Upstate NY

Howdy folks - just stumbled on your forums today.

I purchased an istD about 3 months ago, and am just starting to get really serious about getting out and getting some great pictures. It's definately going to be a learning experience

While I'm not new to photography necessarily (got my first K1000 about 20 years ago) I've just graduated to digital. My goal is to really learn to take great (not just good) photos, and eventually how to edit / enhance them in Gimp or Photoshop (being a Linux desktop user has disadvantages sometimes). With you folks as inspiration, hopefully I'll get there.

I'm not far from the Adiondacks in NY and love camping, so I hope to get some great fall / winter pics.

I live in Schenectady NY and own my own web hosting company (almost 9 years now). My wife and I have no kids, except our 6yr old puppy - some of her pics are in my gallery (in my sig - again, excuse the quality, I'm a newbie )

Thanks to the admin/mgmt for providing these forums - and thanks for everyones anticipated guidance!

Joe

07-11-2007, 11:42 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums!
I think I visited your area passing through to go to RI. do you live near Amsterdam, NY?
I just migrated to digital last December, all in all it was painless.... I have taken more pics with my K10 then all of my film days combined.

I can't help with Linux but can help with photoshop if you ever need it.

cheers and have fun here!

randy
07-11-2007, 01:30 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
Welcome to the forums!
I think I visited your area passing through to go to RI. do you live near Amsterdam, NY?
I just migrated to digital last December, all in all it was painless.... I have taken more pics with my K10 then all of my film days combined.

I can't help with Linux but can help with photoshop if you ever need it.

cheers and have fun here!

randy
Amsterdam is about 20 minutes from my house - right down Rt 5. I'm actually right at the crossroads of I-88 / I-90 in Schenectady.
07-15-2007, 12:20 AM   #4

Upstate, indeed

I'm another newcomer to this forum, and not far from you -- in Glen, NY, a little west of Amsterdam, where I moved in 1990 after a decade in Schenectady's Stockade area. But I'm in town often. Working as a freelance writer, I find myself heading into Albany many times a week.

Don't know how helpful I can be, proximity notwithstanding: I got my first DSLR (a K10D) only a couple of weeks ago and am still trying to get all the setting possibilities into my fingers!

-- Byron