Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2006, 11:07 PM   #1

Hello from WA State

Just joined the forum after doing some searches for info on the K10D. I really appreciate the info I've seen and look forward to mining this group for a lot more in the days to come.

I had a Canon EOS 35 mm for years, then got an Optio 555 digital. Loved that little camera - 5 Mp and a great optical zoom - and it used SD cards which my other electronics used. Right then and there, I retired the film camera. The only drawbacks to the Optio was the slow speed, and having problems getting the wife to understand about holding the trigger down part-way and waiting for the autofocus to work.

Then one of my cats knocked over a cup of coffee and it soaked in. The Optio can't focus any longer (at least not reliably).

Instead of getting another pocket replacement, I decided to upgrade my digital to SLR (my prefered format) and put in a pre-order for the K10D. That was back in October.

To my surprise, just an hour after I signed up here, I got my notice that the K10D shipped. I'm looking forward to getting it in about 2 days.

Hope to post back later.

11-29-2006, 09:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome! I've visited your state, what a beautiful area. You should be able to get some stunning pictures of it with your new camera. Hope to see some examples soon!

Julie
11-29-2006, 11:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome Bob! Can't wait to see some pictures from your new K10D of you beautiful state!
11-29-2006, 12:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Been using the Optio 550 for a few years now. Got a lot of good stuff through the lense. Why not post some of your shots from this camera while you await the K10D.
By the way, welcome.

11-29-2006, 12:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BobS Quote
Just joined the forum after doing some searches for info on the K10D. I really appreciate the info I've seen and look forward to mining this group for a lot more in the days to come.

I had a Canon EOS 35 mm for years, then got an Optio 555 digital. Loved that little camera - 5 Mp and a great optical zoom - and it used SD cards which my other electronics used. Right then and there, I retired the film camera. The only drawbacks to the Optio was the slow speed, and having problems getting the wife to understand about holding the trigger down part-way and waiting for the autofocus to work.

Then one of my cats knocked over a cup of coffee and it soaked in. The Optio can't focus any longer (at least not reliably).

Instead of getting another pocket replacement, I decided to upgrade my digital to SLR (my prefered format) and put in a pre-order for the K10D. That was back in October.

To my surprise, just an hour after I signed up here, I got my notice that the K10D shipped. I'm looking forward to getting it in about 2 days.

Hope to post back later.

welcome!

my wife is the same.... takes great pics but will likely never get the focus thing either. You need to tell her about the k100 that doesn't need the subject in the middle to focus

cheers
11-29-2006, 09:56 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
Been using the Optio 550 for a few years now. Got a lot of good stuff through the lense. Why not post some of your shots from this camera while you await the K10D.
By the way, welcome.
Let's see - how does this look?

Name:  DiabloLake.JPG
Views: 201
Size:  88.4 KB

Diablo Lake (on Rt. 20) taken back in 2004.

Here's my first K10D shot, just as the light was disappearing and the next snow storm was coming in.
F/5.6, 1/15 sec with Shake Reduction on - hand held
Name:  SnowView20061129.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  66.8 KB

Last edited by BobS; 11-29-2006 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Adding info about shot
11-30-2006, 12:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Beautiful pics. Gotta love that SR!

11-30-2006, 04:28 PM   #8
Pentaxian

So you're from the state of West Australia?
12-01-2006, 12:02 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Welcome neighbor!