Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2007, 03:01 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
G'day From Australia

Hi all, I purchased a K10D and SMC DA 18-55 lens earlier this week. It is my first DSLR and it was always going to be a Pentax. But it is a big step up for me as my film SLRs are all screwmount Spotmatics which I have been using for over 30 years.

I also run the Spotmatic forum on Yahoo! Groups.
I have a reasonable collection of screwmount Takumar lenses which I am looking forward to using on the K10D when I get the required adapter. Any tips from Takumar lens users will be appreciated.

I live on the Central Coast of New South Wales. Apart from photography, my hobbies are swimming and cycling.

Ray Allen. Loyal Pentax User.

Last edited by rayallen; 07-19-2007 at 03:30 AM.
07-19-2007, 01:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I live on the Central Coast of New South Wales. Apart from photography, my hobbies are swimming and cycling.
Well you live in the right place for that! I'm in Tasmania and am just about to go and chip the frost off my car so I can drive to work!

Welcome anyhow, this is a friendly place and they don't mind you asking some silly questions (I know, I've tested the theory).

Cheers,

Adam.
07-22-2007, 11:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome Ray ... You pretty much have the same setup as I do ... although I don't have any old lenses.

Don't worry Adam ... it gets cold up here in NSW as well ... we had a -6 deg C morning last week ... bloody cold for me ... hee hee.
07-23-2007, 03:53 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Simon,
Thanks for the welcome.
A friend who also had a K10D called around yesterday and gave me his spare M42-to-K adapter so I was soon outside shooting with a Super-Takumar f1.9 85mm (127mm in 35mm terms). What a blast! It was easier than I expected.

This is more fun than I expected. What a great camera.

07-23-2007, 03:57 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh, I forgot to mention that I also got the D-BG2 battery grip. I like that - a spare battery and a place to store a spare SD card.
07-23-2007, 09:35 AM   #6

Glad to have an Aussie on board!

Welcome Ray!

I used a Spotmatic for years and years and only lost it over my divorce. Replaced it with several old, but newer, film Pentax cameras and now have the K10D. It seems more like a computer than a camera, but working and learning with it is sheer pleasure. Have a small group of old Pentax lens and am always searching for more. Just got a Pentax 24-90 from up in Canada and am now equipted with adequate glass for some serious shooting.

Was in your country back during '68-'69 and was so impressed with the country and the folks. It would be nice to get back there, but at 74 it may not be possible. Anyway, good to have you with us. Let us see some of your Spotmatic photos, will you? The Pentax glass of that era was very fine and one, the 50mm macro was sharp enough to cut your skin! I spent almost all of my time in your country in Sidney. What a city!

FLASH
07-24-2007, 03:23 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Flash,
Thank you for your kind welcome.

I lived in Sydney for 63 years and then moved about 60 miles north to where I live now. Here are some Spotmatic images - some around where I live now and some taken on vacation. Hope you like them.

Spotmatic Images for Pentax Forum - a photoset on Flickr

I now have an M42-to-K adapter so will be using my Takumar lenses on the K10D. Best of both worlds.
07-24-2007, 05:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Welcome! What M42 glass have you got? I've picked up just one - still waiting on the genuine item adapter (on order at Teds).

07-24-2007, 06:23 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
Welcome! What M42 glass have you got? I've picked up just one - still waiting on the genuine item adapter (on order at Teds).
Ah, another Aussie. My M42 collection includes: (S-T = Super-Takumar) S-T 24/3.5, S-T 28/3.5, S-T 35/3.5, S-T 50/1.4, SMC 55/1.8. S-T 55/2.0, SMC 55/2.0, S-T 85/1.9, S-T 135/3.5, SMC 200/4, Tamron SP 28-80, Tamron SP 70-210, Sigma 28/2.8.

So, with my DA 18-55 and my screwmounts I am pretty well covered. I am not thinking of purchasing any more lenses at this stage. But, who knows, I may well get a case of LBA.

As I can't use any of my existing flashes on the K10D (because of excessive trigger voltage) I ordered an AF360FGZ this morning from B&H.