Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2010, 04:40 AM   #1
Forum Member

Very pleased from London!

Hi all, been lurking here for a few days after buying my first dslr, a K-x

Upgraded from a Panny LX2, a great p&s, but the quality-price ratio of slrs became too much to resist!

Used to shoot with a Nikon film slr back in my college days around 10 years ago, so the D5000 would have been an easy and natural choice, but I do like to do a bit of research when spending a chunk, and very pleased that I did - I love the k-x!

Just wanted to say thanks for the great community here and the super posts by very knowledgeable members. Thanks to reading this forum I went straight on fleabay and grabbed a couple of old M series primes - a 50mm 1.7 and a 28mm 2.8 for £30 each - WOW! The quality is amazing, and the improvement over the kit lens, especially for video is immediate. Still figuring out the metering and the green button and having great fun!

Now just need to save up for the DA 16-45mm and a focus screen, oh and a mag eyepiece, and maybe that 40mm pancake!! Anyone wanna buy an 18-55 kit lens lol?!?

Sorry for the long post, just really pleased! Here's some first attempts:

Cheers, Az

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
04-13-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you on board. Nice photos BTW.
04-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome, damn that is one polite sign...
04-13-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forums! Very nice first pictures. More proof of the quality of the K-x.

04-15-2010, 02:30 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to PF. I could go a frosty Guiness right now
04-15-2010, 03:12 AM   #6
A-z
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome guys! After a couple more days of using the K-x I really feel that it's a great camera - fantastic image quality and pretty fast to boot. I'm not a sports photographer so the AF is more than fast enough for me, and the couple of of prime lenses I've got are manual focus anyway. Even the kit zooms are pretty good, although very plasticy and lightweight but thats standard these days.

Overall a very powerful camera, and I'm sure will keep me happy for many years.

It's such a shame that every shop I went into (at least 5-6 stores) to handle some dslrs, all tried to push Canon on to me, saying that the Pentax is a level below, even trying to sell me the Canon 1000d rather than the pentax!?! I'm getting the impression that Canon are offering bigger incentives to shops to push their stuff and thats gonna leave people dissapointed as the 1000d is clearly a very basic model.

I'm getting the impression that the K-x compares pretty favourably with the Canon 550d, and is even being compared to the Nikon D90, both of which cost around £800 here in London with one lens, while i got the K-x for £500 with twin lenses

Anyway, time for another Guinness

Last edited by A-z; 04-15-2010 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Beer
04-15-2010, 03:39 AM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

I love photos with beer in them, but that's a GREAT one!

04-17-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of knowledge here that will surely help you out. Since you just got your K-x I would suggest that you check out the DSLR section if you have any questions on your new camera. I am glad you posted some photos as they look really good for a beginner.
04-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Welcome to PentaxForums! Whether your interest is dSLR & lenses, film, medium (6 x 7, 645, and 645D) format, subminiature (110), or collecting vintage bodies & glass (Spoties, Taks etc) or a combination of the above, you are at the right place. I'm looking forward to seeing some images from UK.

Photo