Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #1

Pentax K7 Review

Hello all,

I just switched to Pentax from Nikon with the purchase of my new K7. I am writing up a review of my impressions of the camera. I don't plan on doing anything with test charts I just want to talk about whether it's a viable option for professionals.

Check out the review if you're interested. This is only the intro but check back soon for updates and photo samples: z-page: Pentax K7 First Impressions

04-13-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and dare I say the Darkside!!
04-15-2010, 02:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good luck with the review and welcome.
04-15-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Brad. Let us know when you post your follow-up review. Always good to hear from people who actually use the cameras.

04-18-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum Brad. There is a wealth of knowledge here that will surely help you out. Since you just got your K7 I would suggest that you check out the DSLR section if you have any questions on your new camera. I hope to see some photos from you soon.
04-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Interesting to see some thought-out points from a professional, especially who has used Nikon a lot.

I've used great Nikon gear but certainly not to the same extent, I found it very good, but had similar issues with it - too big and loud for my own photography, which is why I like the small and quiet K-7 a lot.

Are you mostly a prime user? I think the Pentax zooms SDM reliability issue is a big deal for pro's thinking about Pentax. In saying that I've had issues with the Nikon gear too. But that was bodies only and I guess it's more usual to have back up bodies than back up lenses of a similar kind.
04-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for welcoming me and for taking a look a my review. Here's a quick little update. I didn't have time to go into as much detail as I would have liked. If anyone has any questions or would like me to test anything specifically, please let me know. So far I'm very pleased with the K7.

Here's the update: Bridal Session

I just noticed an error in the blog. Every photo except the first one after the intro will take you to the high res gallery. The first one takes you to apple's site.
04-21-2010, 09:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks for the review,
I will definitely check it out as I may be ready to upgrade soon.....just don't tell my wife that!!

04-21-2010, 10:21 PM   #9

Original Poster
Prime vs. Zoom

I use both primes and zooms quite often but primes are definitely my favorite. I use zoom lenses during wedding ceremonies where a prime would make it difficult to capture everything the bride wants.

I plan on posting samples soon from some of my newly acquired primes. They are not new and are manual focus but I am so pleased with the rangefinder of the K7 and the old primes that I may not need anything else although many of the new limiteds are tempting as is the old 77 1.8

Anyone have any experience with the 14mm 2.8?