Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2010, 08:19 AM   #1
Forum Member

Hello from Adelaide Australia

Hi,
I've often looked at Pentax forums over the past few years, but only just decided to join!

I'm hardly what you'd call a Pentaxian. The first SLR (film) I bought was a Konica FC-1 with the lovely little 40mm F1.8 pancake lens. Unfortunately thieves deprived me of this camera and I eventually replaced it with a Mamiya ZE-X, initially with a 50mm F1.4 prime lens a nd a Mamiya-Sekor 28-50mm zoom. I later followed this up with a couple of Tamron Adaptall 2 lenses, but adaptall 2 lenses weren't the greatest on the ZE-X as Tamron only designed the mount for the Mamiya ZE/ZE-2 and never updated it.

That Mamiya lasted me for almost twenty years before it finally failed. My first digital camera was a Fuji Finepix S7000. I liked the pictures from this camera, but didn't like using it so I quickly traded it on an S9500. The S9500 was much more like an SLR and I liked the 28-300mm (equivalent) lens. I kept this camera for about eighteen months. A friend asked me for some advice on buying a new DSLR. I checked out a few models, and decided I really didn't like electronic viewfinders all that much, so the S9500 had to go.

I did not have an enormous budget for a DSLR and I'd recently come across an almost mint Tamron SP Adaptall 2 60-300mm lens, and I thought this would be good to use with either a Pentax or Samsung DSLR. I bought the lens for a good price, but an Adaptall 2 Pentax KA mount cost me as much as the lens. I then bought a 'slightly used Samsung GX-10' on ebay, but it turned out to have taken 9000 shots and had a broken tripod mount! The tripod mount was easy to fix and the camera was otherwise in very good condition, but I didn't think it was any sort of bargain.

I liked the GX-10, but I wasn't that impressed with the 18-55mm kit lens. The focus ring felt a bit sloppy, and the zoom ring a fraction gritty. It took pretty good photos, but I wasn't happy. I wish Samsung would keep the Schneider name for top of the range lenses, or better still get Schneider to design some lenses rather than re-badge Pentax ones. Anyway I quickly replaced it with an ex demo Pentax DA 16-45mm lens. This felt much nicer and more balanced on the camera. I probably would have bought the Samsung version, but whilst Samsung seems happy to sell cameras in Australia, it seems reluctant to sell lenses and accessories. They are difficult to find and expensive when you do.
There was a bit of a gap between the 16-45mm and my old Tamron, so I bought a used Pentax 28-105mm as an 'in between' lens. Turns out this was made by Tamron too!

I had originally intended to keep the GX-10 only temporarily and upgrade to a GX-20 or a K20D in about six months, but I was quite happy with it and decided to wait for the next generation models. I liked the K7, but the more chunky GX-30 with a 3" OLED screen sounded really good. I was very dissapointed when Samsung decided not to release it. I understand it wants to concentrate on it's NX range at the moment, and I hope it does well, but these are really a lower market segment and I hope Samsung goes back to making real DSLRs, hopefully with the full frame sensor it's been talking about. I'm not sure I'd ever want a full frame camera with an electronic viewfinder, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Samsung, how about letting Pentax use your AMOLED screens?

Anyway I probably would have upgraded to the K7 eventually, but recently a relative asked me to help him find a good used DSLR. In the process of looking I came across an almost new Samsung GX-20 for a good price. It was slightly above my relatives budget, so I decided to upgrade and let him have my GX-10.
The GX-20 came with another 18-55mm kit lens this time labeled Samsung, not Schneider-Kreuznach like the first one. However it is all together much better than the first example. The zoom is smooth and sow is the focus and it takes good pictures. EXIF data indicates it as a Mark II version. I gave this lens to my relative with the GX-10. Had I got this lens first up, I might have kept it.

I just bought a genuine Samsung battery grip for the GX-20 and will probably keep it until Samsung or Pentax release a full frame DSLR. Hopefully they won't keep us waiting forever!

Last edited by markac; 04-18-2010 at 04:58 PM.
04-18-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of knowledge here that will surely help you out. Since you just got your GX-20 I would suggest that you check out the DSLR section if you have any questions on your new camera. I hope to see some photos from you soon.
04-18-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your stay with us.
04-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Sorry for the long first post. I was just trying to explain how I got here!

04-18-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not a problem, it gave us a good insight to you.
04-18-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PentaxForums!. Whether your interest is dSLR & lenses, film, medium format, subminiature, or collecting vintage bodies glass or a combination of the above, you are at the right place. I'm looking forward to seeing some images from Australia.

:Photo: