Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2010, 09:38 AM   #1

Pentax Camera Dilemma

I'm in the market for a new camera and there are so many choices, reviews and opinions. I've now have an Olympus 560UZ for about 2 years and have generally liked this camera but I want to make the move to a DSLR camera. I’ve narrowed my search to the Pentax K7, Kx and possibly the older K20 and there are features in all of the cameras that I like. My main use will be for the outdoors, hiking in both remote locations and local destinations and my secondary use is for sport/action photography. I hike in a variety of weather conditions and I am generally rough on my camera having dropped a few in the past. I know very little about advanced camera operation but I have experimented some and I am willing to learn and spend time with the camera. Your thoughts on various options of which camera to purchase that could suit my needs?

Last edited by blaze96; 04-24-2010 at 04:48 PM.
04-24-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum. You say you do a lot of outdoor photography then the advantage of the Pentax is both being weather resistant and the fact is a solidly built camera. I find the K20D an excellent DSLR and it is priced right for it's capabilities and functions. You will find plenty of user's comments on the Pentax cameras in the forum. I hope you enjoy your stay with us.
04-24-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Blaze96, Welcome to PentaxForums. Whether your interest is dSLR & lenses, film or digital photography, medium (6 x 7, 645, and 645D) format, subminiature (110), or collecting vintage bodies & glass (Spoties, Taks etc) or a combination of the above, you are at the right place. I'm looking forward to seeing some images.

I personally use a K20d and K200d for macro and nature photography. I even made this image using a Pentax K20D body and Olympus dark field microscope. The little wasp is about 1.75mm long.

04-25-2010, 12:29 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Blaze, welcome here and I'll reiterate the versatility that all of the Pentax dSLRs you mentioned have especially with regards to outdoor photography. You may find the K20D or K-7 more suitable given their weather sealing property, but should be coupled with WR lenses for this to be of full effect (e.g. the 18-55 WR and 50-200 WR).

04-25-2010, 03:52 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Get a K7

Welcome in.
04-25-2010, 11:31 AM   #6

Original Poster
I currently live in Ireland and went touring (visiting Castles) with my Olympus and played around with the various settings rather than just putting it on auto. I am definitively leaning toward the K7 or a K20 if I can find one. The only downside to the K7 is the cost and I will have to add extra lenses later as I can afford both right now.
04-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by blaze96 Quote
The only downside to the K7 is the cost and I will have to add extra lenses later as I can afford both right now.
Freudian slip:

You meant to say you CAN'T afford both right now.

It's a sign from above, so just go out and buy what you want.

Money is fleeting. Great glass lasts, as long as you don't drop it.

04-25-2010, 03:37 PM   #8

Original Poster
Yeah, my bad on the typing. Will a standard lens you get in a kit (DA 18mm-5mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR) be adequate for the K7 or do I need high end glass?
04-25-2010, 03:46 PM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by blaze96 Quote
Yeah, my bad on the typing. Will a standard lens you get in a kit (DA 18mm-5mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR) be adequate for the K7 or do I need high end glass?
if it wasn't adequate, Pentax wouldn't sell it. why do you feel you need 'high end' glass? if you are rough on your camera gear, what will the investment in more expensive glass get you? I think, reading your opening post, that the 18-55mm WR is a very good lens for what you are looking to use it for. if you need something longer or wider, you can look into the other weather sealed DA* lenses at a later date. get to know your camera before making a hefty investment in lenses.
04-25-2010, 04:03 PM   #10

My previous cameras have been Olympus. First I had a UZ, latest the W8080, which I liked for the good image quality. Now I own a K20D, my precious
You will not regret a K20D ever., I garantie. But you will need a zoom lens, not to get withdrawal symptoms.