Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
05-05-2010, 10:40 PM - 24 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PentaxForums.com Tutorial Series- Get to know site features!

PentaxForums.com Feature Tutorial #1 (Finding Threads)

Over the course of the following weeks, I will be posting a small series of tutorial threads outlining the main features of our forum software here on PentaxForums.com. Many of these features have been tailored for exclusive use with our site, and as they are quite numerous, I'm not sure every member is aware of their existence. After reading these handy guides, you might just happen to rediscover our site! If this tutorial was helpful to you, please let me know by leaving a comment via the reputation system- just click the icon beside my username or the [Add to Reputation] link directly above this text!

Viewing The Latest

Tip #1 - Log in when browsing the site rather than browsing as a guest! Only logged-in members have access to enhanced search and filtering features.

Tip #2 - Use RSS. We have a global forum RSS feed found at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/external.php! In addition, each individual forum also has its individual feed, and you can also mix&match by combining the forum IDs the the external.php URL. For more individual RSS links, see our site map here: PentaxForums.com Site Map.

Tip #3 - Use the 'newest posts' and 'today's posts' features. This is the number one way of finding and posting in the threads want! In fact, this feature is so useful that links two it are found in not one, not two, but three places on every forum page, and also in the User CP. Refer to the screenshots on information how to access these features.

Name:  Screenshot-29.png
Views: 2036
Size:  24.5 KB Name:  Screenshot-30.png
Views: 2031
Size:  31.7 KB Name:  Screenshot-31.png
Views: 1910
Size:  17.2 KB

Tip #4 - Use the 'unread threads', 'my threads', and 'my participated threads' features. Want to help answer unanswered questions? Remember posting in a thread, but lost the URL? Have no fear! These links will come to the rescue. They are found in the forum and search dropdowns, respectively, and pictured above.

Tip #5 - Subscribe to your favorite threads. Want to get email notices about your threads, or have a centralized place to track them? Simply click the green check mark at the top of each thread. You will then be able to choose how you'd like to be notified of updated to the thread. You can also opt to auto-subscribe to all threads in which you've posted- see your options page (second panel) for that.

To view a listing of subscribed threads (or forums, which can be subscribed to from the forum tools dropdown pictured in the next post), visit your user CP (link pictured above).

Name:  Screenshot-33.png
Views: 1934
Size:  11.1 KB Name:  Screenshot-34.jpg
Views: 1968
Size:  27.3 KB

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-05-2010, 10:49 PM - 11 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Finding Your Own Posts

Tip #6a- Looking for your own threads threads in a particular forum? Simply select the option from the forum search menu!

Name:  Screenshot-32.png
Views: 2002
Size:  20.2 KB

Tip #6b- The same is possible within threads!

Name:  Screenshot-38.png
Views: 1957
Size:  10.2 KB

Tip #7- Use Google search. Found in the search dropdown in the main navigation bar, the Google search allows you to search for terms containing symbols, unlike our internal search engine.

Tip #8- Use tag search. Looking for a single keyword? Chances are it exists as a tag for many, many threads!

Tip #9- Check your user CP. It contains a listing of your latest threads!
Name:  Screenshot-38.png
Views: 1957
Size:  10.2 KB

Finding Others' Threads and Posts

Tip #10- In addition to just searching, quick links to others' post can be found on their profiles. There is also a listing of each member's 10 latest threads! Refer to the screenshots below.

Name:  Screenshot-37.png
Views: 2045
Size:  57.8 KB

Name:  Screenshot-36.jpg
Views: 1936
Size:  50.9 KB
Attached Images

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-05-2010, 10:54 PM - 4 Likes   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Check Similar Threads

Tip #11- Every thread lists threads similar or related to it at the very bottom, below the quick reply form. Be sure to keep an eye on this.

Name:  Screenshot-40.png
Views: 1947
Size:  25.7 KB

Tip #12- Check wanted threads when posting! Select forums (beginner's corner, site help, wanted items) automatically search for similar threads based on the tentative title of the thread you are above to post. Be sure to check the results!

Name:  Screenshot-39.png
Views: 1988
Size:  46.1 KB

Tip #13- Advanced users: there are many, many ways to scale our advanced search system via URL parameters. Please see here for details: How To Submit A Search Through The URL

That's it for the first installment. Stay tuned for the second installment, which will go over site sections outside of the forum! After all the tutorials have been posted, one lucky winner will be awarded increased photo and attachment space!

Adam

05-05-2010, 11:30 PM   #4

And so you think you know everything then a smart alec turns up

Good idea, thank you

05-05-2010, 11:32 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I knew about most of the features, but good stuff.
05-05-2010, 11:43 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Well I like to look at The latest Threads, However I come back to the forum to look at the responses to my threads and search for specific information.

Thanks the the heads up on the features. I never log on as a guest, Hell I took the time to sign up may as well long in, Hell Stay logged in.

Ahh and the RSS that is nice. When I am looking for inspiration or get side tracked, I go to my reader and catch up quickly of all the hot topics I missed. In doing so I am able to investigate interesting subjects. Most importantly this way my time is not wasted. So many times in forums, you want your time back after reading some posts. It is nice to choose quickly what topics I want to engage then move to the next issue/topic.

Thanks for the email offering me a chance to win extra space for images here. I am a takumar freak. I love that glass most. You guys have the best data base on takumar lenses I have found.

Lastly, it's Official I am now a Pentax slr owner. I bought my very first Pentax SLR camera today. I bought a Pentax auto 110 with 3 lenses. You see, I use the Tak glass on my Oly gear, now the 110 lenses fit the Micro 4/3 with an adapter. Takumar is still kicking strong. Now to fit a 110 to my e-3, LOL so much fun in store. Have a great day. AKf
05-06-2010, 12:00 AM   #7

Good move.. I always gets lost on this forum somehow.

05-06-2010, 12:02 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Great idea, Adam.

I didn't know I could search for my own posts in threads.

Looking forward to reading future tutorials.
05-06-2010, 12:42 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is great!

Excellent idea Adam.

These are great features - will be using them. Think I will link directly to my CP.
05-06-2010, 01:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Great work, Adam, surely some nice reading in becoming a more effective forum browser. Thanks for taking the time to explain the functions and taking screenshots. : )
05-06-2010, 03:11 AM   #11
Inactive Account

When's the tutorial on how to turn your pointless, outlandish fantasies on the directions Pentax should take into "facts"?

Suppose it'll have to be after the "Pentax Going M4/3 - Why We Need More Of These Threads" tutorial.
05-06-2010, 04:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Great idea. vBulletin is a complex piece of software and even a seasoned web warrior can be a bit lost at times
Your graphics could be a little bit cleaner though. Ok I'm nitpicking, it's my ugly designer side and I can't resist it
If you're on a Mac you could use Skitch, it's free, easy to use, and make nice arrows and text on screenshots:

There is also a Firefox extension that does the same kind of things but I can't remember the name.
05-06-2010, 04:55 AM   #13

Photos: Albums
What are the RSS threads? That was total new stuff to me. I followed the RSS link and was lost. I have never seen that format before.

Greg K20D Hilliard
05-06-2010, 05:28 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ghillindy1 Quote
What are the RSS threads? That was total new stuff to me. I followed the RSS link and was lost. I have never seen that format before.

Greg K20D Hilliard
An RSS feed is a link that you can load into a "Reader" program/site. What it does is it allows that program/site to be updated with new content from the forums be it news, posts etc. Most sites that have an RSS feed available will have an icon show up in your browser's address bar, if your browser supports RSS feeds. The icon is a orange box with what looks like a wifi icon in it:

Here is the wikipedia article on the subject: RSS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
05-06-2010, 05:43 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Many nice improvements. And seems a bit more logical on finding forum content.
Nice job gang