Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2010, 11:53 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Homepage improvements

Today, I spent some time improving our homepage for SEO, browsability, and content. Say hello to the new green links! A dedicated 'donation' page has also been added: PentaxForums.com - Donate to support us!

I am currently looking into awarding 'Site Supporter' status to members who click through the buttons on that page to place their B&H and/or Adorama orders. Should you complete an order with either store, feel free to shoot me a PM. The commission amount varies, but can sometimes reach the minimum $10 threshold for a donation. I also have some exciting news coming up from B&H in the near future

Many of our homepage links have also been stripped of their landing pages. The lens review, camera review, article, photo contest, and photo gallery buttons will now go straight to the corresponding site content, rather than to an 'about' page. We have also completely removed the 'links directory' from site, as it proved just to be a waste of space. Hah, I bet nobody even noticed it in the first place!

As part of our continued effort to improve SEO, these changes are only a small piece of a larger series of 'under-the-hood' tweaks that have been going on over the past days.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-12-2010, 06:18 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The links directory was never in a place that users could find. I'd bet there aren't more than a dozen members who even know it existed.

I often used it to point users to the Camera Maintenance and Repair Reviews. When recommending Camera Repair technicians I had to copy and paste an HTML link directly to the page. It was way too complex to explain how to get there.

IMHO the reason there haven't been enough hits to justify keeping the page lies in the location of the Links Page, on the Forum Home Page, which almost everyone bookmarks around.

This is your Forum so I have no say, but I think this decision was a mistake.
05-12-2010, 09:18 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Thanks for the input. You can rest assured that any links from threads will have much greater exposure to users than the links section, parts of which seem to have even been broken!

Over the course of nearly 3 and a half years, the links section saw 20,000 views, which is about one-eighth of our daily number of page requests.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: