Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2010, 06:29 PM - 16 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PentaxForums.com Tutorial Series - Part III: Tips and Tricks!

This is our third and final installment in our series of site usage tutorials. After reading these handy guides, you might just happen to rediscover our site!

Part I - Finding what you want: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentaxforums-com-news/100443-pentaxforums...-features.html
Part II - Site sections: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentaxforums-com-news/100799-pentaxforums...-sections.html

If this tutorial was helpful to you, please let me know by leaving a comment via the reputation system- click
the [Add to Reputation] link directly above this text!

Our winner of increased attachment space has been drawn: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/porterhause.html Congratulations!

There's much more to pentaxforums.com than just our discussion forum. Read on to see what else site members have access to!

Quick 'Mark Forum as Read'

Did you know that you can mark an entire forum read simply by double-clicking its icon?
Name:  markread.png
Views: 2494
Size:  14.0 KB

Thread Hover Preview

You can preview the contents of a thread by hovering over the table cell surrounding its title:
Name:  hover.png
Views: 2503
Size:  22.8 KB

Automatic Media Embedding

If you post a youtube or vimeo link in a post, it will automatically be converted to an embedded flash video player. (this can be disabled via a checkbox in the advanced posting innerface, or overriden by [yt] bbcode, which embeds youtube videos without a surrounding frame. More details here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentaxforums-com-news/95411-introducing-a...embedding.html

Name:  AME.jpg
Views: 2665
Size:  39.4 KB

Mobile Skin

Use a BlackBerry, Droid, iPhone, or other smartphone? We feature a mobile forum skin optimized for your device; it is automatically enabled on your device unless you disable it via the User CP options page:

Name:  options.png
Views: 2712
Size:  22.2 KB

Note that we also support TapaTalk for iPhone users.

Ignored Forums

As shown in the User CP options screenshot above, we also allow users to entirely ignore certain sections of the forum!

Quick Forum Controls

If you're a site supporter or Pentaxian, you'll see extra mini-icons beside each forum. These allow you to search new threads, start a new thread, or subscribe to the entire forum.

Name:  quick icons.png
Views: 2466
Size:  7.9 KB

Auto Thread Subscriptions

You can enable this option in the User CP so that by default, you receive User CP or e-mail notifications about updates to all threads you've posted in. This feature is not retroactive.

Multiple Forum Styles

We feature 7 forum styles here at PentaxForums.com. Our Modern Skin comes in 6 variations: Green Fluid (default), Green Fixed, Red Fluid, Red Fixed, Classic Gray Fluid, and Classic Gray Fixed. The Fixed screens are set to an 800-pixel width, while all other versions stretch horizontally to fit your screen.

The final style is the 'low-fi skin', which is optimized for users with slow computers or internet connections. It also features a larger font for easier readability. Few graphics are used in this style.

To switch styles, visit the bottom-left corner of any forum page. To set a default, visit your User CP options, accessible via the manage account link by the login area.

Forum Home Social Groups

Social groups which you're a member of are displayed as if they were forums at the bottom of the forum homepage, for your convenience!

Supporting us

In addition to making donations, you can support us every time you shop at the photo superstores Adorama Camera and B&H Photo. Simply click one of the banners here: PentaxForums.com - Donate to support us! (or in my signature) prior to placing items in your cart, and a cut of your purchase will be donated toward site costs. Depending on the size of your order, you may also be eligible for Marketplace access and site supporter status! Please contact me after buying from either store!

Your support of these stores may lead to some very attractive offers from them in the future, such as personal Pentax support!

A sticky containing information about the B&H / Adorama affiliation crediting info can also be found in the Marketplace, here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/97599-do-you-...taxforums.html I've spoken with both B&H and Adorama several times over the past week, and they're quite excited to have us on board, and quite eager to give us some exciting features in return for your support of both their store as well as Pentaxforums.com!

That concludes our PentaxForums.com Tutorial Series! Thanks go to the 2,000 users who have so far taken the time to read these helpful guides. We will select a winner of the upgraded forum account once 800 views to this thread have been made.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-13-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, a lot of work has been put into this tutorial series.
Awesome job Adam.
Thanks for making this the best Pentax forum around.
05-13-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Thanks, Adam.
I'll give TapaTalk a spin.
05-13-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is great for idiots like me.... Thanks a Bunch

05-13-2010, 09:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Question

This is some great work and help - and to prove that I've actually read it, I have a question.

You mention the "Forum Home Social Groups" and indicate that the ones we're members of are displayed at the bottom of the forums page - I don't see them???? What am I missing?? Thanks.
05-13-2010, 09:41 PM - 1 Like   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Are you using the simple skin?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-13-2010, 10:01 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
This is great for idiots like me.... Thanks a Bunch
x2, Thanks for doing this!

05-14-2010, 12:10 AM   #8

Well, the reputation system won't let me add anything to your profile, (tells me that I need to "spread" more reputation around first), so I'll just concur with the others on the good tutorial. Learned some new tricks that I plan to use in my time here. Keep up the good work.
05-14-2010, 02:08 AM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
thks, great tutorial
05-14-2010, 04:38 AM   #10
smf
Pentaxian

I'm another of the people not being allowed to add to your reputation, Adam, before I spread more around. So please accept this note of appreciation.
05-14-2010, 05:10 AM   #11
1,000,000th Poster!

Adam is too modest. He doesn't let people multiply his reputation!
That being said, thank you for all the hard work on this, I found it very useful.
05-14-2010, 05:18 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
This is some great work and help - and to prove that I've actually read it, I have a question.

You mention the "Forum Home Social Groups" and indicate that the ones we're members of are displayed at the bottom of the forums page - I don't see them???? What am I missing?? Thanks.
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Are you using the simple skin?
Adam, yep - simple skin (Lo-Fi). Kinda what I suspected.
05-14-2010, 05:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I couldn't rep you again, but thanks for sorting all of that out.
05-14-2010, 06:57 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for this. Hopefully new comers will be directed to this series as an orientation when they join. As a new member it was especially helpful.
-Joe
05-14-2010, 08:10 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am new to the forum scene and found this very helpful! Thanks, Adam.