Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2010, 07:35 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jools Quote
But I was hoping that these tutorials would cover at some point how to respond to posts.
I agree it would make sense to add another tutorial on how to reply to posts.

It could contain some guidelines, for example, I think one should encourage people not to simply quote a post in full if one only refers to one small part of it. In particular, this applies if the quoted post contains a number of large images. Often one sees threads where someone posts a series of images and then somebody quotes them all only to add "Nice images" at the end. This doesn't help with scrolling through posts and keeping the bandwidth low.

I understand that not everyone will want to do this, you might want to add the following hint how to reply to multiple points from a previous post.

This is how the original quote may look like when I start the reply:
[quote=Jools;1044177]
Very nicely done, Adam.
A lot of information to digest but good to know where to come to seek answers on how to navigate the site.
[/quote]

I then replicate the "quote" tags (copy & paste), insert my responses, to make it look like:
[quote=Jools;1044177]
Very nicely done, Adam.
[/quote]
Yeah, I agree.

[quote=Jools;1044177]
A lot of information to digest but good to know where to come to seek answers on how to navigate the site.
[/quote]
I thought the same!

This then looks as follows:

Very nicely done, Adam.
Yeah, I agree.
I thought the same!

05-15-2010, 07:48 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Another tutorial should discuss various ways of including images. A popular choice is to include images from one's Flickr photostream.

For two reasons images should link back to the flickr page they are hosted on:
  1. Viewers can go to your flickr page and leave comments and/or view other image sizes.
  2. Flickr requires you to do so.
Here's how to do it:

Assuming your image is at
HTML Code:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/class_a/2914249543/

Select the size you want (from "All Sizes" above the image), e.g., "small". The page offers you a box called "Grab the photo's URL:" which in this case is
HTML Code:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3635/3566563548_fdffd12f25.jpg
The latter goes into the image tags:
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3004/2914249543_5fe2778cf0_m.jpg[/img]
Then you simply surround this with "url" tags, using the address of the original flickr page above:
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/class_a/2914249543/]
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3004/2914249543_5fe2778cf0_m.jpg[/img]
[/url]
Below is the clickable image, using the code shown above (small size used on purpose):

Last edited by Class A; 05-15-2010 at 07:54 PM.
05-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #33
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I can put some guidelines together, as I agree this would likely be quite helpful to many. Seeing quoted images isn't fun (although I was under the impression that I had disabled that).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #34
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
BTW, all BBCode formatting information is already documented here: PentaxForums.com - BB Code List

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-15-2010, 07:56 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Class A, you hit the nail on the head of some of the issues that I have faced in the past. I think everyone wants to contribute, it's just knowing how to do so in a comfortable and proper manner.
Thanks again, Jools. BTW, Adam thanks to your latest post I'll be checking out the FAQ. Certainly something I overlooked in the past. My bad.

Last edited by Jools; 05-15-2010 at 07:58 PM. Reason: adding info
05-15-2010, 08:00 PM   #36
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
There's a handy link to it under the manage account menu. In the future, I think we should consider putting some other handy/informative posts into the FAQ system, for quick and easy reference!

Adam

05-16-2010, 02:30 PM   #37
Forum Member

oke thanks

05-16-2010, 03:48 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Excellent stuff, it's why this forum goes from strength to strength.
05-16-2010, 08:34 PM   #39
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
A winner has now been drawn; see the OP!

Adam

05-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #40

While I knew we had a lot of these features, I never quite knew how to use them. Thanks for taking the time to post this!
05-17-2010, 01:51 AM   #41
Forum Member

Many thanks for the tutorial.
Very informative.
05-17-2010, 09:17 AM   #42

Photos: Albums
Thanks for helping me through the dark ages.
05-17-2010, 09:58 AM   #43
Inactive Account

I had the same problem, I have to spread some Reputation around.
05-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #44

Photos: Gallery
Thanks, that helps to save some search time.
05-18-2010, 05:58 AM   #45

Photos: Albums
Too much information! Not true - just a lot to soak in. I'm glad these tutorials are embedded for reference. Thanks for all your hard work. All useful.