Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2010, 04:44 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have a problem with traditional processing and darkroom being included in the Pentax Film SLR Forum. However, sometimes things get moved to other places if they aren't clearly Pentax. Since Pentax has never made darkroom equipment and suppplies, things would be at risk of being moved. I know the current moderating team isn't quite so OCD about that but the risk of an infraction is still there.

However, I agree that the current forum is a mess for us film people. I was in there trying to find out about my enlarger and where to find a 120 carrier and manual for it and just gave up.

06-02-2010, 02:43 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd prefer to see these topics in the Pentax FILM SLR section, as I don't like too much segregation... but then as long as the category is broad enough, I suppose it can be its own section as well.

I see the film forums as having two dimensions (at least), just like the lens forum: there's the informational, problem solving aspect, and then there's the enthusiast outlet and bring in new people aspect.

One of my favorite threads on the entire forum is 'show us your film shots' - where we specifically see photos from all types of film cameras, not just Pentax. There's some fantastic photography, and technique, and knowledge, and infectious enthusiasm all presented in a non-competetive and supportive way.

When it comes to discussing film itself, the break between 35mm and 120 can be tricky, and developing / scanning etc are usually format agnostic.

However, Pentax cameras are all SLR's - so I'd be comfortable having all film / scan / darkroom topics in the SLR section, and the MF section be more about those cameras (especially as the digital one's out). But I would not kick a film topic off the MF section either.
06-02-2010, 11:55 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Just another one of my wacky ideas, feel free to use/modify:

* move "News & Rumors", "Beginners Corner" & "Ask B&H" to a different category. If you think about it, they really don't fit under "Pentax Cameras" anyway.

* "Ask B&H" could go in with the "Marketplace" stuff, and "Beginners" & "News" could be lumped in with all the miscellaneous review sections under a new section titled "Pentax Information", or something along those lines.

* transfer all things 645D to DSLR Discussion

* separate Pentax Cameras into two sections:

1. Pentax Digital Cameras -
a. DSLR
b. Compact Cameras

2. All Things Film
a. 35mm
b. Medium Format
c. Film Choice, Darkroom & Scanning

I know it is a lot of change, but if you mock it up I think you will see it flows better. You might even get rid of a forum or two! - maybe.
06-03-2010, 12:05 AM   #19
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Just another one of my wacky ideas, feel free to use/modify:

* move "News & Rumors", "Beginners Corner" & "Ask B&H" to a different category. If you think about it, they really don't fit under "Pentax Cameras" anyway.

* "Ask B&H" could go in with the "Marketplace" stuff, and "Beginners" & "News" could be lumped in with all the miscellaneous review sections under a new section titled "Pentax Information", or something along those lines.

* transfer all things 645D to DSLR Discussion

* separate Pentax Cameras into two sections:

1. Pentax Digital Cameras -
a. DSLR
b. Compact Cameras

2. All Things Film
a. 35mm
b. Medium Format
c. Film Choice, Darkroom & Scanning

I know it is a lot of change, but if you mock it up I think you will see it flows better. You might even get rid of a forum or two! - maybe.
This might actually prove fairly feasible for the long run, as we really do want to increase our the film + technique aspect of our forum.

However, at this time, the two 'outliers': news/rumors and beginners' Q&a, are used by so many that they seem to work in the upper-level category.

Ask B&H will likely be moved elsewhere in the future.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-03-2010, 12:09 AM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Or, the other alternative would be to just add 'Film Processing, Technique and Darkroom' to the photography section, rename the current one to 'Digital post-processing processing and software'. Again, in the long run.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-03-2010, 12:49 AM   #21

i think either solution will work. under the "if you build it they will come" theory i am sure once there is a specific home for these discussions you will see a growth of them not only from your seasoned members, but from new comers too.
06-03-2010, 01:17 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
However, at this time, the two 'outliers': news/rumors and beginners' Q&a, are used by so many that they seem to work in the upper-level category.
I think that I must have been unclear. What I meant is to make a new heading "Pentax Information", just like "Our Pentax Forum" or "Pentax Cameras". Then move N&R and Beginners under that heading. I hope I'm explaining it well this time!

06-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #23

Photos: Albums
I agree that some fashion of splitting is necessary. I tried looking in the Post Processing section for some film processing information and never found anything but digital stuff. I can understand the need for PhotoShop information, even for us film guys for post scanning stuff, but I have seen enough processing information in the Film SLR section that I believe it warrants it's own area.
06-04-2010, 05:44 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I think we just need a film area. 'Off-brand' seems to be just another thing Samsungian gets paid by parties unknown to post to, and there is very little of interest in 'off-brands' that is not about wonderful old film cameras.

Among old film cameras, Pentax can totally hold its own, so let's just have a film area. Maybe a few boards: One for 35mm gear, one for MF Pentax equipment, and one for ... everything else.

It's the 21st century. Film people of all kinds gotta stick together. I see such a dynamic out in the world. THe knowing nods, the, 'Can you spare some tri-X, sister? ..
06-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It has been a week since we heard from Adam on this...

Chris
06-11-2010, 03:42 AM   #26
Administrator
Site Webmaster

This is still flagged for future review. Next time we add/change/remove forums, expect to see something done for film.

Adam

06-14-2010, 12:23 AM   #27
Inactive Account

We have too many sub-categories already.
No faeces. Seriously, the main page is cluttered as hell.

You could probably kill off the beginner's forum - by clearing up and clarifying the remaining topics, it'd be no problem to just let beginners put their problems in the relevant forum. Problem with a K-x? Put it in the DSLR section, for example. Need to know how to use the DOF scale on lenses? Then stick it in the lens forum.

Pentaxforumians (it's word,) seem to be pretty good with helping each other - we don't have the "f**king noobs" mentality of a lot of other forums, and offer advice whenever it's asked for. Or when it's not.

Stick the Video in the General Pentax photography forum - look, are we really buying these cameras as video cams? Put Mini-Challenges as a sub-forum in the Monthly Contests.

And the biggie: merge Field and Studio accessories. Because, really, what's the difference? Is a tripod a field accessory? What if you use it in the studio? There's a ringflash question in the Studio section - this highlights the ambiguity of the topics, creating division where there really is none. It could be argued that a ringflash isn't a Studio accessory, because surely, if you were in a studio, you'd be using better, non-portable light sources.

Often, it comes down to the opinion of the mod who finds your post, and decides that he knows more about what you want to know than you do. And then issues you an infraction for not reading his mind.

I find it funny that a lot of the topics in the Studio section are about hotshoe flashguns. I thought the point of having a studio was to use studio lighting, and the point of flashguns were to have portable light sources...for, y'know, when you were away from the studio.

Funniest of all, there's a question in the Studio section about what's the best geotagger out there. In the studio section. Those things are really only useful once in a studio situation. Or you can just use Google Maps.

And, of course, by not having a generic "Accessories" forum (and instead splitting it up into the two topics,) you get a lot of stuff that's lost in No Man's Land, or Accessory Limbo - questions about focusing screens, SD cards and the like. They fit in both situations - field and studio - but aren't, technically, allowed to be talked about in either.

And do we really need a dedicated Spam forum?

I was actually considering killing the Samsung sub-forum and just merging it with DSLR discussion. That size forum is hardly warranted.
It'll be painful, for the three guys out there who think that Samsung and Pentax will get back together. Or who think they were ever together in the first place.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Post Processing, Printing, Software and Darkroom: Where threads about film processing and wet darkroom go to die.
A-bloody-men. This one's a huge grip with me. That's half the reason I don't do talk much about wet-processing. Because if I ask about it in the film forum (I'd bet my left nut that no one in the Film forum would be offended by this, in fact, they'd welcome it,) some jackbooted mod'll come along and move it to post-processing forum, where it will promptly sink without a trace. And then land me with a citation.

Post Processing is the Bermuda Triangle of film topics.

In fact, I'd say a dedicated film forum - or, just as good, if not better, letting us post in the Film Camera forum - would go a long way to foster interest darkroom use. Build it, and they will come.