Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Film processing and darkroom forum needed

Film related threads simply get lost amid the digital noise in Post Processing, Printing, Software, and Darkroom.

IMO the dedicated film users here deserve their own separate forum for film processing and conventional (wet) darkroom.

Chris

05-29-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it's a great idea.

Swift1
05-29-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I agree.

Steve
05-29-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

We have too many sub-categories already. You may use the film forum if you feel your thread is more suited there; otherwise the place to post these threads is here: Post Processing, Printing, Software, and Darkroom - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-29-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just an idea - what about a sub forum under the post processing forum, comparable to how the Samsung forum is under the DSLR forum?
05-29-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I was actually considering killing the Samsung sub-forum and just merging it with DSLR discussion. That size forum is hardly warranted.

The only way I'd add a new sub-forum (which is certainly a sound suggestion) is if you were able to show that the activity in the subject matter is high enough to justify its addition.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-30-2010, 03:31 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Post Processing, Printing, Software and Darkroom: Where threads about film processing and wet darkroom go to die.

Chris

05-30-2010, 03:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'd rather say, add "digital" at the beginning, remove "darkroom" from the end of that forum.
Then take Pentax Film SLR Discussion, and replace SLR with Photography. Or something like that...
Btw, ive posted several film questions in Beginners area too.
05-30-2010, 08:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I actually kind of liked it when we just had the Film forums, pretty much all in one (though I can see how medium format threads could get lost without its own subforum,) maybe the same sort of thing could stuff could be done for print darkroom.
05-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think the best solution would be to just extend the film forum to allow for these kinds of threads. I can put it in the description.

Adam

05-30-2010, 06:11 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Will Pentax Medium Format: 645 and 6x7 users place their film processing and darkroom threads in Pentax Film SLR Discussion?

IIRC objections to Pentax Film SLR Discussion becoming a catchall led to the creation of Off-Brand Camera Discussion, etc.

Chris
05-31-2010, 01:30 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

So on second thought, I'm not sure what the ideal way to proceed would be. Please keep the ideas flowing in this thread and I'll flag this for the future.

Adam

05-31-2010, 04:22 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I think these ar ebest in the FILM SLR forum... otherwise they get lost
05-31-2010, 05:59 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's not "FILM SLR", it's Pentax Film SLR Discussion, 35mm specifically, as demanded by others.
That seems to exclude an awful lot of film users here at PentaxForums.

With so many issues regarding film formats, new films, discontinued films, film choice and applications,
commercial and pro labs, home development and printing, film and flatbed scanners used for film, etc.
I think there will be enough discussion to justify some sort of film subforum. Don't you?

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 05-31-2010 at 06:06 AM.
05-31-2010, 06:11 AM   #15

Choice of film and developer alone is a topic worthy of a forum. Add scanning and printing for those who are 100% wet and you have a huge topic.

Many know I am a moderator at another large photography forum with way too many sub forums and categories. But, film processing and darkroom, wet and dry, topics are lively, educational and very worthy of a place here. It is a dying art (maybe) and discussions on forums like this help keep it alive and allow those of us who do it a resource to share our methods and ideas.