Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2010, 06:50 AM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Forum re-organization

In response to suggestions posted in this and other threads, this new thread will serve as the official proposal/discussion thread for minor forum restructuring to take place in the near future.

Current official (but tentative) changes:

Pentax Cameras
  • "Samsung DSLR Forum" merged into "Pentax DSLR Discussion" (implemented)
  • "Pentax Compact Camera Discussion" renamed to "Pentax Film & Digital Compact Cameras" (implemented)
  • "Ask B&H Photo" moved to "Pentax Lenses and Accessories" (implemented)
Pentax Lenses and Accessories
  • "Camera Accessories" and "Field Accessories" merged into "Pentax Camera and Field Accessories" (new category) (implemented)
  • "Other Pentax-Related Topics" merged into other discussion forums (implemented)
Photography
  • "Film Processing and Darkroom" (new category) (implemented)
  • "Post-Processing, Printing, Software, and Darkroom" renamed to "Digital Processing, Software, and Printing" (implemented)
  • "Professional Photography and Business" renamed to "Professional Photography, Businesses, and Publications" (implemented)
Off-Topic Forums
  • "Off-Brand Camera Discussion: Canon, Nikon, etc." renamed to "Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc." (implemented)
  • "Politics, Religion, Etc." renamed to "Political and Religious Discussion" (implemented)
Further suggestions or comments are welcome!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-14-2010, 07:14 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Adam, it all looks great except for one item.
"Politics, Religion, and Debate" doesn't seem quite right grammatically.
I would rephrase it to "Political & Religious Debate" to keep the theme of the forum clear.

Last edited by Parallax; 06-14-2010 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Re-read the instructions.
06-14-2010, 07:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Suppose I want to compare various brands of slide or negative film.
Where would a discussion of film characteristics, applications and use go?
That's not Film Processing and Darkroom. I don't see an appropriate place...

Chris
06-14-2010, 08:06 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Suppose I want to compare various brands of slide or negative film.
Where would a discussion of film characteristics, applications and use go?
That's not Film Processing and Darkroom. I don't see an appropriate place...

Chris
It would still go in that forum. We'll make it clear in the forum description.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-14-2010, 09:07 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I will proceed with these changes tomorrow if no further suggestions are made.

Adam

06-14-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Add a comma?

I suggest you make it Film, Processing and Darkroom.

Chris
06-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I would still like to see a separation of Weekly Challenges and the various Thematic threads. And I know I'm not the only one, as there have been other threads with this request.

Tim

06-14-2010, 10:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Looks really good to me. Only comment I have is that putting the B&H forum under lenses makes no more sense to me than having in under cameras. What about putting it in the vicinity of the General Photography forums or the Marketplace forums? Nothing short of larger scale restructuring - not worth it for the sake of this one forum - strikes me as ideal, but really, lenses is the last of the places I mentioned that I'd recommend. But it's not terrible, either.
06-14-2010, 10:52 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
We want to keep it toward the top of the forums list- so IMO it's a worthy exception.

We'll work something out for weekly challenges later on, as they certainly don't warrant their own forum, but they do warrant more than mere threads.

Adam

06-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We'll work something out for weekly challenges later on, as they certainly don't warrant their own forum, but they do warrant more than mere threads.
How about putting them into their own sub-forum? I look at the mini-challenges posts 2-3 times per day. I seldom look at the "Show me your 8 legged creatures with 2 or more multifaceted eyes" threads.

Tim
06-14-2010, 11:12 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Perhaps. I took another look at the mini challenges section, and found that this view is likely what you're looking for:

Name:  Screenshot.png
Views: 246
Size:  71.6 KB

Did you know that threads could be sorted like this? IMO doing that is easier than having to switch forums.

Adam

06-14-2010, 11:32 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Perhaps. I took another look at the mini challenges section, and found that this view is likely what you're looking for:

Attachment 64385

Did you know that threads could be sorted like this? IMO doing that is easier than having to switch forums.
Yes, I'm aware of the sorting feature but I seldom use it. Almost every Pentax related forum has a weekly challenge of some sort. A lot of these other forum members eventually come here to buy/sell equipment. A sub-forum just for challenges would make it easy for them to see how active and attractive this site is for challenges before they become fluent in the various sort features IMHO.

Tim

PS: If you give me this sub-forum, I'll send you a couple of Reputation points [wink, wink, bribe, bribe]
06-14-2010, 01:43 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Put the B&H forum in "General Photography". Only a small portion (extremely small, actually) of my purchases there involve Pentax-brand items.

Change the name of "Film processing and Darkroom" to "Film, Hybrid Photography, and Darkroom". That will cover just about everything related to that medium outside the camera including scanning. Alternatively you could just lump all the film stuff (cameras included) into one forum.

Steve
06-14-2010, 02:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Looks really good to me. Only comment I have is that putting the B&H forum under lenses makes no more sense to me than having in under cameras. What about putting it in the vicinity of the General Photography forums or the Marketplace forums? Nothing short of larger scale restructuring - not worth it for the sake of this one forum - strikes me as ideal, but really, lenses is the last of the places I mentioned that I'd recommend. But it's not terrible, either.
Amazing but true - I agree with Mark about something! The "ask B&H" forum should be in the marketplace catagory where it belongs. Lets be honest, the true purpose of the forum is to generate sales for B&H.
06-14-2010, 05:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I'd really, really like to see speculations and wishes separated from news and rumors. They're related in being future tense, but the audiences are distinct.

Well, not completely distinct -- probably almost everyone who wants to speculate and dream also wants to hear all of the rumors. But a significant portion of people interested in hearing rumors which may have a legitimate source would really prefer to not mix that with what people clearly just want to be true.