Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2010, 02:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Photo Gallery Number of Views counter ...

hi there,

sorry if this is not going to the right person as i tried to find the admin's direct or indirectly related address on these pages but to no avail so far!

anyway, my point of concern in here:

when uploading pictures in my photo gallery account, whenever i view them myself it also counts as a 'new viewer' thus raising the number of viewers unwantedly, which is a little bit annoying because:

1. i can't have a good measure of how many people aside from myself have viewed my pictures

2. i'm now kind of refraining from showing those uploads to friends and other people when and if they are present at my own computer

any clues what could be done to avoid this, on my behalf, or is it something that the site's admin has to take care of?

thx!
PR

07-07-2010, 02:11 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't view your own photos when checking the counters. You can do so here: Pentax User Photo Gallery - Uploads Posted By penties rider

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-08-2010, 12:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Don't view your own photos when checking the counters. You can do so here: Pentax User Photo Gallery - Uploads Posted By penties rider
hi Adam,

thx for the quick reply.

yes that's exactly the page i keep open as a tab on Mozilla Firefox browser, but as i said, if i'm going to show these pics from the forum's onilne gallery (not from my own personal archive on my computer) when someone is by my computer, then i'd be adding to the counter's digits without really wanting to do so.

there must be a way for the system to realize that, for example, the IP address accessing these files belongs to the picture owner and should not thus be counted as a 'fresh view' by someone else.

no offense to anyone, but the worst problem in this regard, imo, is that people can repeatedly click on the pictures they have uploaded to the forum's gallery and increase the number on purpose to show off how so many viewers liked to see their photographs ...

best regards
PR
07-08-2010, 03:51 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is possible to program the system to ignore your own views, but frankly, what's the point? A few clicks are meaningless in the long run, and who really cares about showing off views, anyway? I'm not going to bother with this. If a photo is successful, the rating system or comments are more meaningful.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: