Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2010, 08:51 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I don't mind giving out my postal code. However, I'm not giving out the gps coordinates to my chair. Plus, I know my postal code. Besides, I don't go around memorizing the gps co-ordinates for my office chair or my kitchen.
I don't think anyone needs to know the location of forum members to that level of detail, or to have the movements monitored, although I could propose to use the GPS tracking capabilities of cell phones to do this, but I am sure adam would object.

The only point I was making is that if longitude and lattitude are used, even if reported to some rounded off value such as degrees and minutes, it would place people (or pinpoints) on a map relitively easily without knowing how postal codes are distributed within any country, as opposed to needing to know how addresses in general are assigned in every counrty in the world. (I assume the ultimate intent is to have this as a global map eventually)

And what do you do in countries like Costa Rica for example where addresses and street names don't formally exist but addresses are given as distances in a direction from land marks. I don't even think they have postal codes.

As I said, GPS coordinates relate directly to locations on a map, without translation or programming. To me it seems easier.

07-16-2010, 08:58 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Companies like ESRI already have the shape files for postal codes which are linked to a central long-lat within that zone. BTW, you won't track me at home with a cell phone because, 1) piss poor coverage; 2) you'd need my #; and 3) its off.
07-16-2010, 09:31 AM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

We could just plot your location based on IP, but I believe that that would be a privacy violation. In many cases, IP pinpoints the location of your house/apartment - just go on Google Maps and check.

I don't think I will be proceeding with the ZIP code idea, either, simply so that the map feature remains on an opt-in basis.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-16-2010, 09:43 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We could just plot your location based on IP, but I believe that that would be a privacy violation. In many cases, IP pinpoints the location of your house/apartment - just go on Google Maps and check.

I don't think I will be proceeding with the ZIP code idea, either, simply so that the map feature remains on an opt-in basis.
What about dynamic IP used by many DSL providers? You will get Embarq for half of Tallahassee if not more.

07-16-2010, 10:44 AM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
What about dynamic IP used by many DSL providers? You will get Embarq for half of Tallahassee if not more.
The ZIP code for all IPs can still be determined and would usually match yours, AFAIK.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

The only reason I was asking was because of simplicity to plot.

I woud be interested in seeing some form of map, even if it only showed the global distribution of members, because It would be curious to know where most pentax shooters reside.

I am not worried about seeing them in public, bcecause i can count the number of times I have seen a pentax shooter. But that is a different issue.

However, I can see one interesting use of an interactive map, and this is associated with trips etc. If you had a map by perhaps state, or some region, and clicked on it, to send a PM to members living nearby, for advise on travel it would be useful, Not sure how many would appreciate it though, as I have only had limited response, as have others, in travel tips in certain areas
07-17-2010, 04:36 AM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'm happy to announce that more maps will be added to our map system soon. Stay tuned!

Adam