Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2010, 04:59 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why different reputations for same points?

I am curious why some posters with the same number of points have different reputation designations. I am a student, as I was with half the current points, but others with fewer points are an "apprentice." I don't even know which is "higher" but it is curious that my designation stays the same.

07-20-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Where do you see reputation points? I can't see yours or mine.
07-21-2010, 12:49 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
By clicking the reputation icon to the left of this post, or viewing the user's profile, at the bottom of the statistics tab.

The ranks are listed in the reputation announcement.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-21-2010, 07:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually, I don't see the designation of "student" or "apprentice" described in the original announcement.

07-21-2010, 10:42 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentaxforums-com-news/99542-reputation-sy...ml#post1027839

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-21-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, back to my original question. Not that any of this matters, but that post seems inconsistent with what is happening. When I originally asked the question, I had two stars or badges, and was called a "student." Now, a few days later, I have the same number of reputation points, and am now called "apprentice;" however, there are others with only one star who are apprentices, and none of us should be, because the original post says you need three stars to be an apprentice. A specific example: Gofour3 is a student and Seacapt is an Apprentice, but both have the same number of stars. Is the real cut-off differnt from that post to which you linked?
07-21-2010, 02:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm actually curious too.

Also, how is your reputation "power" calculated. I see some people with less reputation points that have more "power" than me. My power is 1 (I have 47 reputation points). I've seen someone with about 20 points but their power is 4 points.

**I hope you don't think I am complaining about the reputation system (I realy like it, it gives me something to shoot for and achieve) but I think it could be a little more clear.

07-21-2010, 02:52 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
OK, back to my original question. Not that any of this matters, but that post seems inconsistent with what is happening. When I originally asked the question, I had two stars or badges, and was called a "student." Now, a few days later, I have the same number of reputation points, and am now called "apprentice;" however, there are others with only one star who are apprentices, and none of us should be, because the original post says you need three stars to be an apprentice. A specific example: Gofour3 is a student and Seacapt is an Apprentice, but both have the same number of stars. Is the real cut-off differnt from that post to which you linked?
It might be, as those star indications may have been back when each star was awarded after 75 points. Now, you get one star per 100 points as far as I recall.

Reputation power = 0 if you have less than 25 posts, else 1.
+ 1 / 1000 posts
+ 1 / year of membership
+ 1 / 100 reputation

Adam

07-21-2010, 03:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It might be, as those star indications may have been back when each star was awarded after 75 points. Now, you get one star per 100 points as far as I recall.
You might want to check the points, because I don't think that is the case with the specific example I gave or my own case. I think there may be something a bit off with the way the algorithm is working.
07-21-2010, 03:59 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It's correct as it is.

You've got 103 points, so you get two icons. KxBlaze has 47, so he gets only one. I have 295, so I have three.

The text strings themselves are independent of the icons.

Adam

07-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Actually, I don't see the designation of "student" or "apprentice" described in the original announcement.
I don't see either of these designations, nor any other.
07-21-2010, 07:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's correct as it is.

You've got 103 points, so you get two icons. KxBlaze has 47, so he gets only one. I have 295, so I have three.

Adam, we apparently have some trouble communicating. I never said that my number of Icons were wrong. I am talking about the text strings and I have been since my very first post here. I'm talking about the cut-off for the text designations, not the stars.

My text string said "student" and was "student" at the time of my first post, then changed to "apprentice" without any change in my points. At that time, people with fewer points had the designation "apprentice." Secapt and Gofour3 have almost the same points, but different designations. According to the post to which you directed me, they should have the same text designation. I don't care, but it was one of several examples I noticed.

This whole thing is fairly insignificant, so I will leave it. Sorry to have bothered you with it.
07-21-2010, 07:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I don't see either of these designations, nor any other.
It took me a few looks, but it is explained in post #63 of that thread. When you mouse over the reputation stars/icons/medals in someone's profile, a text string comes up. It is that string which seems inconsistent to me.
07-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

OK, so what determines who gets which text string?

According to post #63 in the original thread on the reputation system, there's:

Beginner
Initiate
Student
Apprentice

I've seen "beginners" with 25 points, "students" with 25 points or 75 points, and "initiates" with 10 points or 100+ points. I don't understand the logic behind the text strings, as they don't seem consistent. Can you please explain?

TIA
07-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

To me, it's just another form of "popularity contest" voting.