Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-26-2010, 03:31 AM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, the Tamron Adaptall header is necessary for a variety of reasons. However, that's not a problem- I must have not explained it properly. Here's what the DB schema looks like:

Manufacturer Title
Tamron Adaptall 100mm F2.5 model 1b
Tamron Adaptall-2 150mm F3.5 model 2b
If system is set to sort by the title field, so the manufacturer field is completely ignored, then yes, the sorting will work. However, most of the lenses in the DB currently look like this:

Manufacturer Title
Tamron Adaptall 100mm F2.5 model 1b
Tamron Adaptall-2 150mm F3.5 model 2b
and since this is the case, we need to change the fields manually. In the listings, these two fields are concatenated into a single string, so users can't tell a difference.

If you start a thread, I'll gladly make it a sticky and even mention it on the homepage. And, if possible, I'd like to be not only comprehensive, but exhaustive

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
If you start a thread, . . .
Done.

QuoteQuote:
And, if possible, I'd like to be not only comprehensive, but exhaustive
First class!

H2
08-26-2010, 02:30 PM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thanks. Thread's stuck.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-27-2010, 07:58 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
BTW, is there any thought about transferring the Adaptall-2 lens reviews that are already in the old Tamron review section?

08-27-2010, 08:07 AM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

What reviews? AFAIK, all lenses with adaptall in their names have been moved already.
08-27-2010, 09:34 AM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

So these have been missing the adaptall flag in their titles since day one?

08-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Seems that way - most of them I was able to pick out via the model number in the title; for the rest I had to look at the mf or older Tamron naming conventions in the title (and double check via google)...
08-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #24
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thanks for the info. I will update these this evening.
08-27-2010, 03:00 PM   #25
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Done! Let me know when further things need to be done.

Adam

08-27-2010, 08:39 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
So these have been missing the adaptall flag in their titles since day one?
I believe I properly titled and segregated those in the list I sent earlier. Even though some lenses may never get reviewed, a comprehensive lens catalog would preclude/preempt folks entering non-standard title nomenclature in the future.

==========

And from an earlier DB explanation: just 'cause the first field label calls for a 'name' doesn't preclude cheating and prefacing it with a base FL numeral to get a quick 'n dirty FL sequence. That would seem to be a beneficial, temporary tool when doing a final DB clean up as well.

===========

Also, here's the sort of lens-specific article I had in mind for stickies in the lens clubs:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=59769

============

Re: Comprehensive and exhaustive ??

There's an additional 13 Adapt-A-Matic and 27 T-mount lenses cataloged as tabs on the Adaptall-2.org site that would go in the Adaptall section.

And F-class, fixed mount lenses would go in the basic Tamron lens lists but that list'll be harder to come by.

H2

Last edited by pacerr; 08-27-2010 at 08:51 PM.
08-28-2010, 06:01 AM   #27
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Our database also supports category descriptions, so if you'd like to write a paragraph or so on adaptall lenses, it should be displayed just like the intro to DA lenses on this page: Pentax DA Series Prime Lens Reviews and Specifications - Pentax Lens Review Database

We'll gladly add the additional lenses as well, but I think they'd each get separate sub-categories. They're not in your doc file yet, it seems.

Also, did any of the lenses Nesster mentioned overlap with those in your doc file?

Adam

08-28-2010, 11:00 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Our database also supports category descriptions, so if you'd like to write a paragraph or so on adaptall lenses, it should be displayed just like the intro to DA lenses on this page: Pentax DA Series Prime Lens Reviews and Specifications - Pentax Lens Review Database
That would be good for some things but would it be appropriate to specific lenses or technical info (like answering the perennial questions about fixing adapters)? My item number 468 in the Adaptall thread is an example. Also, I'd be more inclined to use a Wiki-like format where at least a few knowledgeable folks had an opportunity to review this sort of info before it went public as fact.

We'll gladly add the additional lenses as well, but I think they'd each get separate sub-categories. They're not in your doc file yet, it seems.
No, and the only info I have on those comes from the Adapt-A-Matic and T-mount tabs on the Adaptall-2 site. Unless it would somehow assist you in developing the DB I don't see how my re-typing those lists would serve you better than simply working from a direct scan/capture of the web pages. Separate sub-categories would definitely be more appropriate and manageable for those groups. I doubt we'd see many reviews but it would be a handy catalog of those older lenses.

Also, did any of the lenses Nesster mentioned overlap with those in your doc file?
Nesster's list correctly identified lenses that were miss-categorized because of
"incorrect or inconsistent" titles in the PF listings. My doc file includes his items. To the best of my cross-eyed proofing ability, the doc file is all-inclusive of the lenses as presently listed on the Adaptall-2 site and is consistently titled and categorized by class.

As someone else (Blue?) mentioned there are still a few Tamron Adaptall lenses that aren't listed in the Adaptall-2 site catalog. I'm lookin' for those and can't find that message. There are also some other lenses that can be rolled into common listings (e.g., the 90mm 52B and 52BB). Most of these are noted in my doc file.

I have a few additions to my doc file for Tamron AF and SP AF lens categories I'll forward soon by separate msg. I'll also annotate on that revised list those lenses for which I have OEM user manuals.

H2
08-28-2010, 11:05 AM   #29
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Ok- I'll go through all the titles as well to make things consistent. Whenever you update your doc file, please let me know as well. Thanks for all the info!
08-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok- I'll go through all the titles as well to make things consistent. Whenever you update your doc file, please let me know as well. Thanks for all the info!
Wow, I think I just "lost the bubble" and sank in a sea of disorganized lists! (I'm sure y'all haven't ever done that . )

Anyway, here's a complementary listing of the discontinued Tamron lenses re-sorted by type and FL that may help.

At the moment, I'm lookin' at Adaptall SP 28-105/2.8 (176A) and SP 35-105/2.8 (?) that aren't in my original list.

H2
Attached Files
File Type: doc Tamron Discont List sorted.doc (26.5 KB, 1550 views)