Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Forum Header

After a long night of fixing countless bugs, I'm happy to unveil the new forum header, as you've probably already noticed as of about an hour ago.

This time, it's about more than just design, however. It's about functionality, ease-of-use, and clutter reduction.

Header Searchbox

First off, you'll notice that a searchbox has been installed in the upper-right corner of the screen. This isn't your ordinary forum search box, though- when browsing lens reviews, the photo gallery, camera reviews, the marketplace, or our articles, it automatically switches to search that content type rather than searching the entire forum!

Elegant Breadcrumbs

Prior to this change, the breadcrumbs floated around above the main content of every page. That's no more- you'll be able to take care of all your navigational needs directly in the header.

Improved Lens Review Navigation

Our lens review database menu/breadcrumbs have also been moved to the header, further removing clutter.

Handy Links

Several handy links will be visible to the left of the search box. We've also centralized links to all new content (new threads, today's threads, subscribed threads, unread threads) as well as all of your content (my posts, my threads, threads in which I've participated) in two dropdowns beside the search box.

The corresponding options have been removed from the search dropdown, due to redundancy and to avoid confusion.

Phasing out Fixed-Width Skins

We currently feature 'fixed' 850-pixel versions of our three main skins. However, we've recently also redesigned our header structure to accommodate 1024px screens with no horizontal scrolling, yielding these skins obsolete. They will be removed at a later date.

As with any large changes, these may also take some time to get used to, but I do hope you find our new header nice and easy to use!

Attached Images

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-11-2010, 04:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Once again, great changes to reduce visual clutter and enhance usability. Thank you Adam, and whoever works with you on the technical side.
08-11-2010, 04:53 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Glad to hear that!

For this project, I hired a designer (a great one, I must add: CryoDigital Designs), but the local implementation of the header was done by me. Took me almost 8 hours to get the header working right after the template was delivered, and the designer about that long to make it

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-11-2010, 07:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Wow, I like this new layout much better! Feels much less claustrophobic. Thanks for the ongoing hard work Adam!!

08-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Agreed, very nice change. Feels less cluttered, and a bit more modern / professional.
08-11-2010, 06:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I like it... the unanswered threads is now much better... ok off to see what people posted 4 months ago
08-14-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
The "manage account" link has now also been moved to the left of the search box, as it broke the layout for users whose browsers use GNU fonts at its previous location.

Adam