Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2010, 03:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Troubleshooting section needed

Hi,

Seems that more and more lately the DSLR section is litterted with troubleshooting types of posts...i.e., "Kx acting strange", "k10D problem", "K-7 wont expose properly", etc, etc etc...Cant we have a sub section within the DSLR section or better yet, a "troubleshooting" section for people who have problems with, or what they think is a problem with their gear?

Most of the problems are user errors or beginners issues and seems the beginners section is oft overlooked....I dunno why, but about 75% of those questions could be posted or moved there since I noticve the majority of those posts are from inexperienced owners...

Better yet, why not create a "RTFM" section also?

Jason

08-14-2010, 05:49 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the idea, but there'll definitely be overlap with the beginner's section. What do others think?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-14-2010, 06:04 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It sounds good on the surface. However, from personal experience ( moderator on another forum) there are those members who will still post in the wrong forum.
08-14-2010, 09:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
It sounds good on the surface. However, from personal experience ( moderator on another forum) there are those members who will still post in the wrong forum.
Of course, that's human nature, but I think having a place for the "my camera is doing this, that, or the other" is a step in a positive direction.

Jason

08-14-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think that we'll go ahead and add a troubleshooting section, but it's going to be later on- say in September or October. There's way too much other stuff going on right now.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-07-2010, 01:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'd like to suggest to revisit this idea...read through the K-5 and K-r sections and so many threads are troubleshooting or complaint topics....mostly all solved because of human error....

Troubleshooting sub-section for each model, why not?

Jason
12-07-2010, 05:47 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I'd like to suggest to revisit this idea...read through the K-5 and K-r sections and so many threads are troubleshooting or complaint topics....mostly all solved because of human error....

Troubleshooting sub-section for each model, why not?

Jason
Jason

I too like the idea but am struggling with human nature I am not sure people who need help are readily willing or able to recognize the problem is them not the equipment

Maybe if we do put a troubleshooting forum we should name it appropriately. I would vote for RTFM help for forum users . (just kidding)

Remember what Ansel Adams said. "the most important part of your equipment is the twelve inches directly behind it"

12-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Jason

I too like the idea but am struggling with human nature I am not sure people who need help are readily willing or able to recognize the problem is them not the equipment

Maybe if we do put a troubleshooting forum we should name it appropriately. I would vote for RTFM help for forum users . (just kidding)

Remember what Ansel Adams said. "the most important part of your equipment is the twelve inches directly behind it"
I vote for RTMF section - Read The Manual First - which would be the section with no postings.
12-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Check out our "90 percent of Pentax questions answered" thread
12-08-2010, 01:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Maybe then the moderators could do with some moving into appropriate sections if user's human nature would be to post elsewhere? Just some thoughts on keeping the forum clean and less cluttered with uber-repetitive "problems" threads.

Jason
12-08-2010, 12:23 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think that a "Help Central" category would be in order, and it would contain the following:

-General Troubleshooting
-Beginners Corner Q&A
-Photographic Articles

What do you guys think?

Adam

12-08-2010, 12:32 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think that a "Help Central" category would be in order, and it would contain the following:

-General Troubleshooting
-Beginners Corner Q&A
-Photographic Articles

What do you guys think?
I like this idea ... for one major reason: I seem to always get into some sort of "user's error" trouble, thus the need for me to ask loads of questions in the Beginner's section!
(RTMF was an acronym specifically designed for me.)

JP
12-08-2010, 02:12 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

-General Troubleshooting
-Beginners Corner Q&A
-Photographic Articles

What do you guys think?
I like it, Adam. Terrific idea!
12-09-2010, 12:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great thinking, wherever did you get the idea from?

Jason

12-10-2010, 08:21 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

-General Troubleshooting
-Beginners Corner Q&A
-Photographic Articles

What do you guys think?
seems good, the only question is somewhere, are we limiting this to Equipment or technique or both,