Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-21-2010, 08:03 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Code Forensics

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's working fine, but it seems that a lot of thread subscription data was lost yesterday (I'm lost as to how that could be). I will not be restoring this data at this time, as I don't want to risk further downtime.
Hi Adam: I can guess you had a stressful night earlier this week, and I thank you for restoring all the functionality.

From the "in the same camp" department, two weeks ago I had a catastrophic server failure due to a direct lightning strike. The system partition and all three RAID/Mirror system partitions were irretrievably corrupted. The tape drive had backed-up the corrupted partition somehow (don't ask me how that worked).

The data partition on one mirror drive was recovered by swapping the board from an orphaned identical drive. My tech had to build a new box, install a new instance of Server2003 and make a new Profile for every machine on my network (not counting modem, router, etc). Too many joules for the UPS/Suppressor, I guess.

In the early morning hours, while establishing a new profile for my "outside" machine, he forgot to backup my .pst file - 15 years of emails and contacts gone forever

DK if you will ever get to restoring the subscriptions lost. If so (or if you are just curious what happened) I lost every subscription with the word "Club" in the title (easily rebuilt with a search), plus I don't know what else. There doesn't seem to be a date cut-off or any other common element I can discern but it sure seems other than random.

Total number of threads lost is around 70 out of 228 - I had just a week or so ago decided to spend some time cleaning house in my User Control Panel so I remember how many there were.

FWIW, the default thread subscription option started acting up during one of your recent upgrades. Without making any changes to my options I was suddenly subscribed to every thread I posted in; changing to the "None" selection would not stick.

Works right now, though.

08-21-2010, 08:36 AM   #62
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I have no clue why the subscriptions are gone, as no data was actually lost during the downtime (at all). However, I'm not going to try to upload a backup of the table, as that would overwrite current entires.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have no clue why the subscriptions are gone, as no data was actually lost during the downtime (at all). However, I'm not going to try to upload a backup of the table, as that would overwrite current entires.
Agreed and I'm not asking - but I thought you might be interested.

My guess is we who lost threads were logged on during the outage and the Forum called the active threads through User Control Panel, but the active page wasn't re-written to the server (all of my losses were active threads such as Clubs). Sort of like my lost .pst file.
08-21-2010, 09:49 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agreed and I'm not asking - but I thought you might be interested.

My guess is we who lost threads were logged on during the outage, called User Control Panel, the Forum called the active threads through User Control Panel, but the active page wasn't re-written to my USER record on the server (all of my losses were active threads such as Clubs). Sort of like my lost .pst file.

08-21-2010, 09:56 AM   #65
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I just did some magic- could you check if your subscriptions are back?

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-21-2010, 10:01 AM   #66

I just did some magic- could you check if your subscriptions are back?
You do good voodoo! Everything back on my end
08-21-2010, 10:05 AM   #67
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Great. So here's what happened:

When the datastore cache went down, every permission setting for your usergroup was reverted to the default. When I rebuilt the datastore, all the subscriptions were somehow rebuilt using the default permissions, and thus lots were flagged as "invisible". I made all invisible subscriptions visible- and bam.

Adam

08-21-2010, 10:13 AM   #68

When the datastore cache went down, every permission setting for your usergroup was reverted to the default. When I rebuilt the datastore, all the subscriptions were somehow rebuilt using the default permissions, and thus lots were flagged as "invisible". I made all invisible subscriptions visible- and bam.
Beauty!

Thanks for your devotion to keeping the site running
08-21-2010, 01:24 PM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep! Thanks Adam.

Can you come over and make my .pst file visible now?
08-21-2010, 01:59 PM   #70
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Yessir- seems like I can fix anything

Adam

08-21-2010, 04:23 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Kinda lose sight of the folks that keep us all glued together, at times,
thanks Adam
08-21-2010, 05:25 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yessir- seems like I can fix anything
Let's not get completely carried away, LOL
08-22-2010, 08:43 AM   #73

Photos: Albums
Thanks Adam I will see if I can upload a pic or two.