Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Are you interested in a Beginner's Gallery?
Yes 425.00%
No 1062.50%
Maybe... I would have to know more. 212.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-23-2010, 11:45 PM - 1 Like   #16
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NiftyFifty Quote
I'm not trying to offend when I write this, but the question was posed to beginning photographers. If you're not a beginner, the question wasn't for you.

Personally, I don't see the use of uploading to a user gallery that will get few views when I have a blog, which includes a gallery section, that receives an average of just over 2,000 real visits every month, from all over the world, according to my web analytics software.

I swear I have had the worst luck with the mini-challenges and monthly contests. So far, they have either not been on topics that interest me, or have been on interesting topics but were not doable for me at the time. So, I've been trying, but am not doing very well with those sections. The photo critique section seems weak. There are so many threads - not including the brand new ones - that have a low number of response critiques. I know I would become very frustrated at the lack of feedback, so I'm not inclined to submit anything just to spare myself the aggravation.

What I do here is mainly information gathering and drooling over other people's fantastic photos. I'll read something and then try it on my own when I get the chance, which lately hasn't been much since I've been flaring and not feeling very well. I'm physically uncomfortable and frustrated that I can't get out and do what I want to do. That might be coming through in my responses and making me seem to have a bad attitude, but I'm really not like that. So, my apologies if I said anything that offended you, because I had no intention of doing so.
The question applies to most of us here, since most of us aren't pros.
I've been shooting whenever I can (quite occasionally) for a few years, so I'm certainly no pro, or even seasoned, but I was a newbie not long ago.

Posting images anywhere on the forum has been a helpful experience for me personally, and I can say has helped hone in on some areas where I'd been lacking yet didn't know I lacked or how to improve.

This to me is a virtue of a forum such as this - and usually if you word the request for feedback with an inviting tone, a decent number of reviewers will comment. Your blog may have hits but may not be the best place to receive C&C.

In any case, your opinion is respected, and we may disagree, but that's all good - just enjoy your journey as many of us enthusiasts do...

08-24-2010, 02:18 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jools, thank you for giving some real feedback and not just jumping down my throat.

You hit the nail on the head about beginners feeling overwhelmed when looking at the work of more advanced photographers. I can only speak for myself, but it is very intimidating and I know I can't compete with them, but at the same time I don't think it's wrong for less experienced photographers to want to be recognized, more formally, for the good work they do, too.

It's just that something about the nature of the exclusive gallery that reeks of elitism and separation to me. Before the exclusive gallery was implemented, everyone was on the same ground. Sure, there were a lot of photographers that were (and still are) amazing, but other than the accolades given in the PYP sub-forums, nobody was officially elevated over anybody else. That's not the case anymore, and I just personally feel some kind of way (that I haven't quite figured out) about it.

At any rate, thanks for your reply and I'll consider your suggestions.
I don't think the Exclusive Gallery reeks of elitism.
It's just another vehicle to display images.

Your whole approach on this thread is what I originally thought about the Pentax Photo Gallery. I got a 3 of 4 in after a lengthy and careful thought process because of me being new to digital.

When I submitted, I personally thought they were good enough. And hey they got voted in. Some may agree, others disagree.
In fact, I presented all but one of my entries months before here on PF just to get a feel of the responses and got mostly positive results. The only one that was declined was the one I had not submitted here on PF. :ugh:

There are good folks here who are willing to give straight up critiques, at least I have seen that in my time here
We are all on this journey together. It's for enjoyment and personal growth.

So just go ahead and post on PF. Time will tell. Photos are so subjective that one person's gem is someone else's garbage. Its part technique but also a good eye. One learns along the path.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The question applies to most of us here, since most of us aren't pros.
I've been shooting whenever I can (quite occasionally) for a few years, so I'm certainly no pro, or even seasoned, but I was a newbie not long ago.

Posting images anywhere on the forum has been a helpful experience for me personally, and I can say has helped hone in on some areas where I'd been lacking yet didn't know I lacked or how to improve.

This to me is a virtue of a forum such as this - and usually if you word the request for feedback with an inviting tone, a decent number of reviewers will comment. Your blog may have hits but may not be the best place to receive C&C.

In any case, your opinion is respected, and we may disagree, but that's all good - just enjoy your journey as many of us enthusiasts do...
I agree with you 100%, Ash . +1 rep in my book.
08-24-2010, 06:26 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
I would answer you, but I don't feed trolls.
Don't mistake terse replies for trolling. It's a legitimate critique. The Exclusive Gallery is just as open to beginners as it is to experienced photographers. The only criteria is the quality of the photographs. So, in effect, if we have a separate beginner's gallery, it's going to be stuff that couldn't make it into the Exclusive Gallery based on quality, i.e. a B-level gallery that excludes seasoned shooters.

I like that I'm competing with people who have experience. It shows me how much better I can be. Also, I'm fine with the fact that none of my photographs are in a gallery right now. It wouldn't make me feel any better about my work to have it showcased in a "Lookit how good the noob is! He'll probably take a great picture someday" gallery. I'll wait for the great picture I take to receive the accolades it deserves.
08-24-2010, 08:26 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by extravagrant Quote
Don't mistake terse replies for trolling. It's a legitimate critique. The Exclusive Gallery is just as open to beginners as it is to experienced photographers. The only criteria is the quality of the photographs. So, in effect, if we have a separate beginner's gallery, it's going to be stuff that couldn't make it into the Exclusive Gallery based on quality, i.e. a B-level gallery that excludes seasoned shooters.

I like that I'm competing with people who have experience. It shows me how much better I can be. Also, I'm fine with the fact that none of my photographs are in a gallery right now. It wouldn't make me feel any better about my work to have it showcased in a "Lookit how good the noob is! He'll probably take a great picture someday" gallery. I'll wait for the great picture I take to receive the accolades it deserves.
Whatever.

08-24-2010, 08:39 AM   #20

Whatever.
Ah, you've swayed me with your compelling argument.
08-24-2010, 09:25 AM   #21

Original Poster
I'm done defending myself. Think what you want, say what you want. You're a stranger on a message board. My off-board life isn't going to change by anything said or done on here. In short, I just don't care, anymore. So, yeah, whatever.
08-25-2010, 11:33 AM   #22
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Whatever.