Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2010, 07:24 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No highlighted Group when updated??

When one of my social groups gets updated, the thread that's updated is no longer highlighted. Any particular reason?? Thanks.

08-28-2010, 07:31 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you click the notification in the usercp dropdown, all your groups are marked as read to fix a bug with the notification being there indefinitely. I'll fork out a better solution when possible.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-28-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

OK- I've messed with it, and after somewhat of a headache, here's now the notifications will now work:

If there's an unread group, you'll get a notification in your notifications area. If you click it, the click is registered, and the date of the most recent time you marked your groups as read is registered.

The notification will then disappear, and won't reappear until there are new groups posts AND the most recent time you marked your groups as read is GREATER THAN the value that was cached above.

The above is confusing to digest, right? Then think about it from a programmer's standpoint

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-28-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Time will tell if I coded it right- I've now marked my aviation usergroup as read. If I get a notification about it in the future, that means my system works!

Adam

08-28-2010, 11:37 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Found a small bug- but that should be fixed once I get home

The value cached should be the time of the latest social group post, rather than the latest read time.
08-28-2010, 01:23 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Adam, I did get notification if one of my social groups (usually Aviation) was updated - it came as a PM notification. What I didn't get was any indication of *what - if any* entry was actually updated. In the past, the thread that had been updated was highlighted - now, no highlighting - I have to closely look at the threads timestamp to see if one really was updated.

The reason this is an *issue* is that we get the same notification if someone posts a new photo, so we have no way of telling if a new update was added to a thread OR if a new photo was added. I have to try to remember when I last accessed the group to figure out if the latest thread update was one I'd already read - only to discover that someone had added a photo.

Not a real big deal, just wondering why the highlighting had gone away.
08-28-2010, 01:51 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That I don't know- sounds like you're subscribed to only get updates in your user cp rather than via email.

As I said above, the reason it wasn't highlighted was that you clicked the notification (this is now fixed for future clicks).

08-28-2010, 03:13 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Perfect- I've now fixed up the system so that the notification works in the following way:

-If there are new group posts since your last notification click, and you're subscribed to the group, the notification is shown.
-If the notification is clicked, it disappears, but group read status does NOT change (it did before, hence your confusion).
-The notification is cached and the check for new posts is only conducted once every 5 minutes

Glad to have sorted this out, smartly

Adam

08-28-2010, 07:42 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Adam - really appreciate your work!!
08-28-2010, 08:00 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Glad to hear that

Adam