Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter

iPhone browser doesn't search

Search and notifications don't work anymore on the iPhone browser. They used to work. And the top right corner of the site renders funny too.

09-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, I can type a bit more now that I'm not mobile.

The pop-up-type boxes for "Private Messages" and "Search" aren't popping up on my iPhone 3GS. If there was a recent change to these pop-ups, then please check compatibility on an iPhone. Note that I don't use the mobile version of the site because it isn't very nice.
09-10-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recommend using an application such as TapaTalk if you'd like full functionality on the go and don't want to use the mobile skin. Our main skins have 100% valid HTML, JS, and CSS, so what you're describing is a client-side problem. You can always use the search box in the upper-right, if the dropdown doesn't work, however.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-10-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, thanks Adam.

I'm going to post some stuff for the heck of it. I don't expect you to change any plumbing but you might be interested to see what I found.

I went to Apple's website for iOS Safari and I found something interesting:
Loading…
See point 4 about fixed positions.

So I figured something was up with the position of the popup. And sure enough, after I hit the button I have to zoom out and scroll around to find the box. So the box is appearing, but it isn't positioned right.

If I'm zoomed out as much as possible then the popup appears in the right place.

I think these issues are related but maybe not exactly the same.

Is the popup a vBulletin library or something you made yourself? If it belongs to vBulletin I'll send them an email.

09-10-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The vb popups are part of vbulletin. Vbulletin 3 is also EOL as of very soon, so the devs aren't going to do anything about it.

Sounds like a safari mobile issue. Vb 3 supports all desktop browsers, but no mobiles (hence my mobile skin).
09-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, definitely an iOS safari issue because there is no such thing as a resizable window on the device, so the viewport is going to be fixed at device resolution and often different than position/zoom. Because CSS defines position relative to the viewport then it isn't going to work sometimes.

I see that the CSS boards are trying to work out a better way to describe what a person is looking at, such as "visual viewport" or "porthole" or "viewport". They don't even have a name yet, so it will take a while before CSS is fixed.

Meanwhile, I know to look for the popup in wacky places.

(note that I don't touch website stuff. I can barely write an img tag.)
09-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The new div layout is even worse AFAIK, but I'm sure the iOS will just keep getting better.

09-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Any chance in installing the plug-in at Forum Runner - vBulletin / phpBB Forum iPhone App so iPhone and iPad users can easily view the forum on our mobile apple devices? I do not know if there is a cost for the forum to include the plug in or not. I found the ForumRunner app while looking for an app that will easily view vBull forums on my iPad.
09-24-2010, 08:58 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

We currently support tapatalk, which is a similar app.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-25-2010, 06:16 AM   #10

Thanks for the fast reply Adam. Sincerely appreciate it.

Looks like Tapatalk is only for the iPhone right now and not the iPad whereas ForumRunner is for both and also has the free app option and a pay option.

For now, I will check my CP settings and see how I may be able to view it better than just the mobile view.

Thanks again
09-25-2010, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You can certainly use the regular forum skin on your ipad- the option is found in the last panel of your options page.

Adam

09-25-2010, 08:37 AM   #12

Roger that Adam. Thanks again!
09-25-2010, 09:12 AM   #13
Ira
Inactive Account

I'm lost:

What do I do for the iTouch?
09-25-2010, 09:15 AM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Same as the iphone: either use the mobile skin, or install tapatalk. There are quite a few thread on the topic outside of this one if you run a quick search

Adam